Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gladys Knight… The latest celebrity under attack

@Kachina624 wrote:

I get so tired of pop singers shrieking the National Anthem to the point where it's scarcely recognizable.  If that's what she's going to do, I'd prefer she stay home.

You have heard of Gladys Knight and heard her sing?

Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

She’s agreed to sing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl. And some people don’t like it. 

@esmerelda- what people don't like it?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Gladys Knight has a fabulous voice and is not a shrieker.

And I would wear a CK jersey.

Super Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Gladys Knight has a beautiful voice, and I'm sure she will do everyone proud.

You know, this "taking sides" has reached a point of absurdity.  And this applies to both sides. 

To make a point, am I now never going to eat Burger King or McDonald's again because of what happened with the Clemson team the other night?  

People are drilling down too far in trying to take a stand.

I agree!

Valued Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

Yes, they did and for the exact reason I touched on. Thanks you for your input. Maroon 5 came to mind bc they took a lot of heat for accepting. It’s a huge honor to be asked to perform. I don’t believe they are participating for any other reason.

Travis Scott is going to perform at the halftime show also. He receive some heat but his performance was...let’s say “ransomed”...by a donation of $50K by the NFL to a social justice cause. 

Make that $500,000.  (In conjunction with the NFL, to Dream Corps.)

IMO I can't see any artist being held hostage by this push to take sides.  That's just as wrong as penalizing someone else for taking a personal stand.

It’s more desperation than ransom. We’re coming down to the wire on game time. PLEASE let’s just move on. . . .hey, who would you like to see in the Super Bowl? 🏈🍺🍕

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@JillyMarie wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I don't understand why anyone would be upset at Gladys Knight singing the National Anthem. She has a beautiful voice, has been around for a very very long time.....

@CANDLEQUEEN

Has to do with the football players taking a knee & not having RESPECT.

I am fairly certain Aretha sang R E S P E C T.

Lol on the Aretha part! And yes, it has to do with players taking a knee, but the huge misconception regarding this entire situation, is that they are showing disrespect for the American Flag, our national anthem, and our veterans. That is not true. 

Valued Contributor

@SelahG wrote:

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

@SelahG wrote:

I have always enjoyed Gladys Knight's music! If I watch this year's Super Bowl, her performance of the National Athem is sure to be the highlight of the event for this non-pro-football fan. I have just always more so enjoyed the college games. 

Couldn’t agree more! Love Gladys Knight and had the best day ever at the Rose Bowl watching my Buckeyes! And the Clemson game was unbelievable!

The Clemson game was mind-blowing, @Ifeelwicked! Most exciting one ever, recently speaking! 

The first concert I ever attended in person was Gladys Knight and the Pips! I was only 13, but the lady who I babysat for some weekend evenings took me as a surprise birthday gift. I have every album she's ever made, including gospel. Nice to meet a fellow fan! 

I see you are under a flood warning. Saying a prayer for your safety, as well as your neighbors. 

Enjoy your Hallmark movie — you and @JaneMarple! I am sure Gladys Knight will handle any controversy stirrers with grace. 👍🏼

Thank you for your kind words. ☔️  As for Gladys Knight.....how lucky are you?! (I babysat and got $.50/hr. 😂) I can’t wait to see her and hear her on Super Bowl Sunday. 👍🏻 Just a quick side note about Ohio State. As much of an impact their game against Purdue had on their ranking, if I had known Tyler Trent’s story, that loss would not have stung so badly. God bless and Godspeed, Tyler🙏🏻❤️🏈

Contributor

Not familiar?  She’s only been singing about 50 years!  Midnight Train to Georgia?  I Heard it Through the Grapevine?  Seven Grammys?  Gladys Knight and the Pips were a staple on variety shows in the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s.  Unless you are a millennial, you should know her.

Honored Contributor

@Lake4 wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

Gladys Knight has a beautiful voice, and I'm sure she will do everyone proud.

You know, this "taking sides" has reached a point of absurdity.  And this applies to both sides. 

To make a point, am I now never going to eat Burger King or McDonald's again because of what happened with the Clemson team the other night?  

People are drilling down too far in trying to take a stand.

I agree!

At least y’all are alive to take a stand, so....