Respected Contributor

Re: Gladys Knight… The latest celebrity under attack

@chrystaltree wrote:

Don't like what?  The national anthem?

@chrystaltree, you made me snort laugh with that one! 

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

She will sing it well and be very respectful.  Atlanta is her hometown so she must be tickled to be asked.

I'm delighted she was asked.  She is a treasure.  I pray she does it up proudly and feels the honor and makes a statement.  The Nation is bigger than any of us.  I love her!

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

Yes, they did and for the exact reason I touched on. Thanks you for your input. Maroon 5 came to mind bc they took a lot of heat for accepting. It’s a huge honor to be asked to perform. I don’t believe they are participating for any other reason.

Travis Scott is going to perform at the halftime show also. He receive some heat but his performance was...let’s say “ransomed”...by a donation of $50K by the NFL to a social justice cause. 

Make that $500,000.  (In conjunction with the NFL, to Dream Corps.)

IMO I can't see any artist being held hostage by this push to take sides.  That's just as wrong as penalizing someone else for taking a personal stand.

That’s Kylie Jenner’s guy...Stormi’s dad.😀⛈

001723EC-E50F-4824-A088-91C099219785.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I get so tired of pop singers shrieking the National Anthem to the point where it's scarcely recognizable.  If that's what she's going to do, I'd prefer she stay home.

For me the Country singers are the worst. It’s the Anthem not a episode of Hee Haw.

It's all of our country.  It is absoluetly Hee Haw too!  

Honored Contributor

@Northray wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

Yes, they did and for the exact reason I touched on. Thanks you for your input. Maroon 5 came to mind bc they took a lot of heat for accepting. It’s a huge honor to be asked to perform. I don’t believe they are participating for any other reason.

Travis Scott is going to perform at the halftime show also. He receive some heat but his performance was...let’s say “ransomed”...by a donation of $50K by the NFL to a social justice cause. 

Some background info might help those out of the loop, to understand.  

So last year Rihanna was asked to do the halftime show but she said she would not do it as a show of solidarity with Kaepernick.  So then others were asked and they too declined saying the same as Rihanna, to show solidarity with Kaepernick.  And so when Maroon 5 accepted, they got heat because those on the Kaepernick side feel no one should be accepting.  NOw the same heat is being directed at Gladys Knight for the same reasons.  

I don't think Gladys will suffer from it.  I think she and her fans are bigger than that. 

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Northray wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

Some background info might help those out of the loop, to understand.  

So last year Rihanna was asked to do the halftime show but she said she would not do it as a show of solidarity with Kaepernick.  So then others were asked and they too declined saying the same as Rihanna, to show solidarity with Kaepernick.  And so when Maroon 5 accepted, they got heat because those on the Kaepernick side feel no one should be accepting.  NOw the same heat is being directed at Gladys Knight for the same reasons.  

I don't think Gladys will suffer from it.  I think she and her fans are bigger than that. 

Not in the least.  Gladys Knight is a living legend.  She's reached the top of her craft and has achieved the greatness she deserves.  At this point in her life, whatever she does, it's all gravy and icing.  

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

-Rumi
Esteemed Contributor

I for one am glad she isn’t caving. CK will just have to get over it.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Maybe everyone performing will wear a CK Jersey.

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I for one am glad she isn’t caving. CK will just have to get over it.

i dont think that CK has said anything about gladys knight, has he?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Maybe everyone performing will wear a CK Jersey.

i have seen a lot of tweets today suggesting that @sidsmom.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein