Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gladys Knight… The latest celebrity under attack

@Ms tyrion2

I said they should not be afraid. Why are they afraid?  What can they do/be done to make them not afraid?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It doesn’t matter who is chosen to sing...there will always been some malcontents who revel in being offended and will complain. Yawn....she will be great.

Valued Contributor

this isn't about sides. People do have a right in this country to protest or stand up for things they believe in. That's what freedom is. and for now we still have it. but little by little there are undercurrents in this country that keep taking away those freedoms that our country was based on.

In trying to please everyone all the time, we end up doing away with traditions, many of which held us together as a nation and a family.

The National anthem is one that for all my life I remember people standing with hands over hearts at games and in school. but now we have small factions continually trying to do away with those things we all loved and made our eyes tear up. Why is that offensive and why do some think it's okay to protest when that protest goes the way of disrespect to those traditions i.e. standing and singing the Anthem?

CK disrespected police by publicly wearing offensive socks yet no one thinks this is objectionable? It's okay to keep reinforcing the idea that human beings should be ridiculed because of your personal beliefs?

And why protest in a place where you work???? In front of your employer who by the way pays you millions and millions of dollars? Obviously for attention on a grand stage.  Well, if it's okay, then next time you go to work, please wear some offensive article of clothing, go into a meeting with your boss and stick your fingers in your ears when the boss is talking because you don't like what he/she is saying and you want to protest. Please and let us know how long you are employed after that.

Maybe younger people think this is all okay, but for those of us who grew up saying the Pledge of Allegiance in school, sang the anthem, and had respect for authority figures, then don't try to change our minds about taking his side in this issue.

I come from a time when wrong was wrong and right was right. And we've now muddled it so badly you can't say a single word without someone, somewhere, sometime getting offended and making a stink!

He wants to come back and play in the NFL and he is suing them at the same time. He should have enough millions to live the rest of his life without ever working again, and then he can devote all his time to causes,

Respected Contributor

They're lucky to get her ....although I don't watch a bunch of guys hurting themselves....

Frequent Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Who cares who sings the anthem?  Who really listens to THAT?

@SeaMaiden- I do.  Every time it's sung.  And I feel pride every time I hear it.

Right there with ya @Venezia. 👏

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda wrote:

She’s agreed to sing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl. And some people don’t like it. 

History has played out differently for some in this nation over others. The fact that some choose a silent gesture to point that out is hardly earth shaking, and it's their right. They aren't stopping anyone else from doing the opposite, nor have they sought any revenge over those who didn't take a knee. Likewise, each performer has a right to accept or decline an invitation to perform without being attacked by one side or the other. Sometimes, it's just about the entertainment. And sometimes it's about the principle behind an action.  I can't walk in the same shoes as some other fellow citizens, but I understand that "land of the free" doesn't apply to all people, nor do the words in the flag salute guarantee "liberty and justice for all." I don't see the knee as disrespectful at all, but it is a reminder that we have come a long way, but we have much further to go. Gladys Knight will do us all proud, and Colin K will respect her as well. He's not the enemy.

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

She’s agreed to sing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl. And some people don’t like it. 

History has played out differently for some in this nation over others. The fact that some choose a silent gesture to point that out is hardly earth shaking, and it's their right. They aren't stopping anyone else from doing the opposite, nor have they sought any revenge over those who didn't take a knee. Likewise, each performer has a right to accept or decline an invitation to perform without being attacked by one side or the other. Sometimes, it's just about the entertainment. And sometimes it's about the principle behind an action.  I can't walk in the same shoes as some other fellow citizens, but I understand that "land of the free" doesn't apply to all people, nor do the words in the flag salute guarantee "liberty and justice for all." I don't see the knee as disrespectful at all, but it is a reminder that we have come a long way, but we have much further to go. Gladys Knight will do us all proud, and Colin K will respect her as well. He's not the enemy.

You're 100% correct, he isn't.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

You're 100% correct, he isn't.

@JaneMarple

I made it a pinch bigger so everyone can see!

@RainCityWoman

A very balanced response.

I’m curious to see how all this plays out.

Respected Contributor

Even when they do follow directions they still get shot by the police. It's not as cut and dry as some of you think. That's one of the many reasons they kneel. They have the right to peacefully protest. The players, Gladys Knight, and anyone performing at or going to the game is not the problem. The problem are those that feel skin color, gender, sexual preference, and ethnicity is a justifiable excuse for violence and inequality.
Honored Contributor

Yes CK is not the enemy. Easier to make him that than to confront the issues. Plenty of veterans have supported him and other players.

The song means nothing unless it represents certain ideals we are supposed to value.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"