Honored Contributor

Re: Glad to see Prince Harry

@occasionalrain wrote:

Understandable had it been postponed. It wasn't; it was cancelled.

@occasionalrain   They cancelled the concert, not plans for another way to raise funds in the future.  The concert was in the planning stages and as I said some performers had not even signed contracts yet.

There are ideas still being discussed so we will have to see if the nothing happens at all.  Or if something does.

This is the problem with H&M threads; reading between the lines here-the concern isn't for the cause but concern that people will forget just how horrible they are.

How many people here planned to donate or attend?

Yeah, just as I thought.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3. Your post, esp your last remark, indicates to me that you are reading your slant into posts and even making trouble where there is none. My examples are your post above and your fighting kitties graphic you posted recently. Your "reading between the lines" translates into something else me: seeing or perhaps encouraging trouble where there is none.
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee Several members in military in U.K. were 'involved' in this charity and to quote them are 'gutted' at the cancellation and so far no alternatives being offered by Harry.  Came as complete surprise evidently and indeed  because of Covid but maybe we will hear of alternatives but needs to happen soon.  No news to date but hopeful.

It appears this charity has no money and needs a big fundraiser before the Games can happen.

@Cakers3  Believe it or not some of us do donate to these Charities even if we cannot attend do you?

Honored Contributor

@dulwich. Thank you for your input, as always on matters English. I was very happy for you and your relatives in Cornwall when I read that Charles is no longer helping this couple out financially.
Respected Contributor

The article I read said Harry and Meghan are no longer taking money from Prince Charles. I am guessing the Netflix deal has ensured their financial independance. I am glad they get to make all the decisions in their lives.I hope they can have a cordial relationship with both their families.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@mspatmacHundreds of things discussed on this board are none of our business. 😄

@Pearlee   Your post cracks me up. 🤣🤣

Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan. I speak the truth! 😁
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee  @dulwich  I noticed this thread earlier in the week and made a conscious choice to avoid it for the simple reason that the Sussex posts tend to become divisive and get deleted and so posting to them often feels, after the fact, like a waste of one's time. That said and now that this one appears to have more or less run its course and before it goes away, I just wanted to add that I too am glad to see the duo have paid their debt and are, ostensibly, no longer being supported by Charles.

I guess my question all along was if they enjoyed the net wealth that has been suggested, why they didn't simply pay off the Frogmore debt to begin with and be done with it... Perhaps given their lavish lifestyle it made more initial sense to spread out the payments, but I don't know, given all the fallout over it, had it been me, I'd have paid it off and moved on if I was sitting on the 25-30 million some estimates had suggested was their net worth...

As for this whole Netflix thing, all I can say is I'm glad I'm not a subscriber because I now don't have to bother cancelling... There are those who talk often of 'privilege' but really, who is any more privileged than these two... They went from the wealth of the royal family to the wealth that his name and connections are now allowing them to enjoy... Clearly, there is nothing in either of their relatively thin resumes that would qualify either of them to 'produce' much of anything... That contract is more or less yet another gift from Zeus, based on his royal status and their joint contacts with some of the glitterati... I see where one production under consideration is a documentary about Diana... And so it goes... Still, after all these year, he continues to invoke her spectre... Somehow, I find that sort of unfortunate... 

Just sayin'..

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb I agree with your entire post.

I have not admired adult Harry's references to losing his mother whenever he makes a choice that gives him bad press.  Always working the sympathy angle.  By the time one is hitting 40, it grows wearisome.

If he does do a documentary on Diana, I would also find that rather disgusting...,making money off her story.  Tacky and distasteful, in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb @dulwich @Pearlee and others who are interested:  I have read two recent books, Lady Colin Campbell's and Finding Freedom (library had this one).

Since most of what is written in Finding Freedom is  opinion and recounting of conversations and opinions that are not attributed, both books seem very gossipy and with agendas although LCC's is plainly her thoughts and observations.

So I will only comment on one point that comes out loud and clear in Finding Freedom (and it surprises me), and is "verified" over and over in this book, is that Harry and Meghan expected to be flavored with or before William and Kate.

Now even I understand why the Royal Family would not put them over, in front of, or on a par with the future King and Queen.  And I don't understand how Harry and Meghan seem unable to figure out that this is a fact and why it is a fact.  Harry and Meghan seem to ignore the fact that it's always the way it has been and to think that they should be the exception.  Simply because it's "them!"

Of course they aren't going to take precedence over, come before, be as important as, share the spotlight with or outshine William and Kate. 

Rank has its privileges.  In the military (wake up Harry!), in businesses, in churches, and in school.  Who doesn't get this?  Harry and Meghan don't get this! And it is incomprehensible to me that they are so open about it. 

So that was for me the biggest surprise from the books.  Interesting reading, but as I say both have their message to promote.