Honored Contributor

Re: Glad I raised a family yours ago--

@sunshine45 wrote:

just because the younger generation may not want old crystal, china, and silver, doesnt mean that they are not having good, close famiyly time together. priorities and times have changed and evolved.  i cant speak for anyone elses family, but my kids are close with me, their dad, their grandmother, and lots of other family members. we visit each other, spend time in their homes, go out together, vacation together.......and we still manage to have cell phones, televisions, computers, and other electronic devices.

NO......we are NOT going to hell in a handbasket.

You and your family many not being going to hell in a handbasket, but the breakdown of the family, the over exposure/being tied to so much technology is sending many people's families there, more of them all the time.

I think OP was making statements in general, that yet more traditions are fading away (like well set tables, with people gathered in more formal settings to partake of each other's company and good food, with some manners and decorum), and it isn't good for everyone, that this is happening.

She has every right to miss them as much as others have a right to enjoy holidays with paper plates and takeout. And there is nothing wrong with it being expressed.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Yesterday, I was waiting for a friend in Panera Bread.  Right in front of me was a Mother and I am guessing her son. They were alredy seated before I sat down. Not once did I see her say one word to her son or even look at him. She was busy on her phone the entire time. It seemed so sad. The kid looked to be about 5 years old. And he was watching his Mom the entire time.

Now Now, we must not judge this! We don't know the circumstances, we don't know that she does this all the time, we must understand that this is how people communicate these days, we must excuse away or forgive every lazy dumb thing people do these days. 

This is the kind of thing OP was referring to, it's typical today, but sad just the same. And wrong to not interact with children but put technology first.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

Yesterday, I was waiting for a friend in Panera Bread.  Right in front of me was a Mother and I am guessing her son. They were alredy seated before I sat down. Not once did I see her say one word to her son or even look at him. She was busy on her phone the entire time. It seemed so sad. The kid looked to be about 5 years old. And he was watching his Mom the entire time.

Now Now, we must not judge this! We don't know the circumstances, we don't know that she does this all the time, we must understand that this is how people communicate these days, we must excuse away or forgive every lazy dumb thing people do these days. 

This is the kind of thing OP was referring to, it's typical today, but sad just the same. And wrong to not interact with children but put technology first.

@Mominohio, I so agree.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@SeasonedCitizen wrote:

I read an article on Yahoo the other day that said that Goodwill has a glut of china, crystal and silver--the 12 place settings, etc because the millenials aren't interested in them. I feel sorry for the families today where electronics are at the table and used during meals, kids can't play outdoors without supervision because of predators, and they don't ever learn how to set a table where people feel relaxed enough to want to sit and talk and know what others in the family are experiencing at whatever age level they're at. I have women in often for lunch where we do pot luck for silly days and always someone asks me which side the silverware goes next to the plate. I am so sorry so many are missing so much good family times--

I raised my DD as  a single parent we ate together every night and if we felt like eating take out on the good stuff we did. Usually in the dining room sitting on top of the table. Our open communication to this day is what bonds us and keeps us close not our dinnerware.

The point is, that when the formality of sitting down for dinners goes (regardless of if it is with china or stoneware or melamine set nicely for an inviting meal) out the window, so does a lot of the connection, the sharing, the bonding. 

In society, many of us have seen it go from a formally set table for regular dinners (holidays, Sundays or whatever) be replaced with meals in front of the TV for the whole family, to eating on the run in the car on the way to another lesson, sport, class, to people who might still all be in one place, not looking at each other, but instead, their individual screens.

The loss of formal dining equipment was simply a first step in the loss of so much connection over food. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

To those who long for the olden days.......  I'd like you to picture 200 years into the future. Imagine what "communication" will be like. Imagine what "human interaction" might be like. Do you think your grandchildren and great grandchildren will be lamenting the future like you are lamenting today?

Wouldn't it be nice to try to understand and embrace change? What is the point of being bitter about it or wishing things were like they used to be? 

Time marches on. That is the universal truth.

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

I remember my mother at the kitchen sink hand-washing crystal, china and sterling.....before dishwashers......what a waste of her time.....sorry, mom.....

Unless she said it was (or if she felt it), not all women felt that way then, or do today.

Anything that brings you joy, especially doing for those you love, to provide a beautiful home, meal, gathering, or experience, is never a waste of time.

Sad that anyone that got to experience that loving act, sees it as a waste of time.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

If you don't think mealtime, how we eat, what we eat, and when are important, read French Kids Eat Everything.  Food isn't a reward or a punisihment or a bribe.  It is what you eat every day.  They don't snack either or eat in the car.

It is a very eye-opening look at how French children are raised to approach mealtime and food.  It is amazing and makes a lot of sense.  French kids are raised to taste foods and be more accepting of new tastes and to eat what they should eat rather than baby food.

If you look at the American diet, it's all baby food now:  Cake, mac and cheese, cupcakes, and other "baby" foods.  Apparently few people eat adult food anymore.

Eating together at meals, using forks and knives off of real plates socializes kids and teaches them manners and engages them in adult conversations, making them better equipped to face life after they grow up.  I think that is very important for kids who want to rise up in the ranks of the future employed. 

Yes! This is a big part of what I thought OP was getting at, and what I wasn't putting into words very well. 

We seem to have devolved into eating the foods and in the ways our toddlers do instead of raising them up to experience and learn from the more formal family meal. It is where I first encountered so many ideas, learned to partake in serious conversations, learn tolerance (hearing adults discuss things like politics and while not agreeing, being civil) etc. Hmmm.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

I remember my mother at the kitchen sink hand-washing crystal, china and sterling.....before dishwashers......what a waste of her time.....sorry, mom.....

Unless she said it was (or if she felt it), not all women felt that way then, or do today.

Anything that brings you joy, especially doing for those you love, to provide a beautiful home, meal, gathering, or experience, is never a waste of time.

Sad that anyone that got to experience that loving act, sees it as a waste of time.

But you don't know how her mother felt about it.

And you don't know that it was a loving act. Many, maaany women in the 50s and 60s and on into the 70s did things because they were expected to do them, not because they were eager to do them. Not every housewife loved being a housewife, joining the country club, dressing (themselves or their home and table) to impress, etc. Your experience may have been a positive one, but that doesn't mean that living a particular lifestyle automatically created a warm, loving Leave It To Beaver home with two wise and loving parents whom their kids adored.

Sad that people can't see outside of their own experience or POV, and project that the way they see things is the only valid way to see them.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@SeasonedCitizen....I hear where you are coming from. I'm so sorry that you have gotten so many condescending responses. You are just expressing your opinion and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't get the impression that you are criticizing anyone, but it seems others here don't see it that way. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

What is it about so many of the posters here that you're so threatened by people living their lives differently than you did? Why are so many closed minded that other people can live lives of joy and value and have different priorities than you have? 

@jaxs mom

Wow, I was just about to write something similar to this!

It seems like the real issue for some people is that not everyone does things the way "they" do.

Perhaps years ago, more people "conformed."  There was "a way" you were supposed to be.  Everybody had "good china" for example.

But a lot of those types of things have gone by the wayside as people decide what works best for THEM.

Live and let live.  If one person loves fancy china and silverware at a holiday party, go for it. I love it too.

If another person uses paper plates and plastic forks, I'll have fun there, too.

It's the people that make it, not the trappings.

Now, if we're talking only about technology, I agree that people sometimes seem a bit wrapped up in it.

But that also is something that we can do nothing about, except within our own families perhaps.

In other words, that Pandora's box is open, and it's not closing.  

@Marienkaefer2@jaxs mom,

Brava, ladies. 

It isn't just on this forum, but we see a surprising amount of it here.

People who seem to have serious difficulty accepting or tolerating anything that's different from their (often pretty narrow) frame of reference. Manners, morals, ways to speak, ways to dress, child-rearing, electronic devices, Medicine, taste, possessions, ways to take a breath - you name it, someone will be complaining about how it isn't "their way/their preference/their POV" and therefore, society, the current younger generations and just anyone and anything they don't like are reason for a slap at some group, or theoretical group, because it's not "their way."

And people wonder why Boomers and those older can have the reputation of being old fuddy-duddies. That's exactly why. 

Live and let live. What others do in their own homes, with their own families, is no one else's concern. 

Ladies, please scoot over and let me sit with you. 

I am in my 60s. I never wanted China or Sterling flatware. I don't care for fussy home decor. I don't think all antiques are beautiful. I don't think the "old" ways were all special.

I like technology.  I have and use a cell phone. Sometimes I eat dinner while reading or (gasp) in front of the TV.  If that's going to hell in a handbasket, I'm there   Woman LOL