Honored Contributor

Re: Giving kids trophies for just showing up

When I was a child in the 60's, if the team did well, everyone on the team got a trophy.

what's the difference?  Everyone on the winning team at the Super Bowl gets a ring and  a ton of cash and not everyone gets to play to even play well.

Valued Contributor

The team gets superbowl rings ONLY if the team wins.  My grandson used to bowl on the Special Olympic team in our town, he is  middle functioning aspergers/autistic.  He decided he now no longer wanted to do it, his mom told him he would get a another "statue" for his shelf, His reply::everyone gets those, big deal.     So, the giving of trophies to everyone cause my grandson to not want to bowl any longer on the team,  Even a special needs child KNOWS they mean nothing unless you win.

Honored Contributor

The kids all get them in soccer and Little League for participation, here. (trophies or medals). I don't have a problem with it. They can hand out something more for best player etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

When I was a child in the 60's, if the team did well, everyone on the team got a trophy.

what's the difference?  Everyone on the winning team at the Super Bowl gets a ring and  a ton of cash and not everyone gets to play to even play well.

You say "If the team did well", that is exactly what myself and others here have said. That is much different than getting a trophy "for showing up". If a team does well(that is a very vague term when used for any competitive event), I guess giving out trophies for runnerups and 3rd place might be in order, but no further down the line.

Not sure what you mean by the above underlined and bolded comment. There are very few members of a Super Bowl Winning Team that did not play in any of the games that got them to the Super Bowl.

Maybe they were injured and could no play the BIG GAME,  but they were a part of the team that got them to that BIG ONE. You don't think that should be considered as "earning their award"?

I competed in lots of racing activities in the 1960's, both on foot/skates and auto racing. There was not a singel one of those 3 that gave out awards because I showed up, and "yes", some of them were classified as a team sport.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I agree with another poster.  Kids usually 'figure out' how good they really are in athletics.  I hated PE, mainly beause the teachers were continuously peeking in our shower stalls.  Actually, they didn't even give us enough time to shower, anyway.  Racing to our next class clear across the school, etc. wasn't a good thing, IMO.  Also, I wasn't very good at climbing ropes, and I, and several other girls, ended up physically exhausted and in bed for two weeks because of having to run around the track too many times, etc.  Sometimes PE is counter-productive for some kids.  Around here, we see quite a few 'sports' kids (mostly girls) using crutches quite often.  Not a good thing, long term.  (Fracturing bones over and over again; several surgeries) Parents have to use common sense when their kids are injuring themselves over and over again.  I believe in 'gentle' exercise, for long-term health.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

This has always been a pet peeve with me.

I do not believe that everyone on the team or group should receive a trophy for just showing up. IMHO this is part of the problem we have today with entitlement.

When I had Girl Scout and Boy/Cub Scout troops, I NEVER gave out the medals or badges if they were not earned.

I had one parent in particular that thought her daughter should receive the same badges that everyone else EARNED, just because she was in the troop. She was not at many of the meetings and outings that we have because of her gymnastics practices, but her mom thought that she should just receive them. I had many a rough conversation with her, and she even called the Service Unit to complain. The Service Unit sided with me.

Esteemed Contributor

It's okay for the little ones to receive a participation trophy.  When you hit the real competitive sports and high skill level things change.

Trusted Contributor

This thread shows that there are two sides of thinking and acceptance on this issue and both are making good points.  In sports, its a matter of being good at what you do or maybe not so good but showing up and being strong and continuing to do the best you can. 

I honestly don't have children, but if I did, I think its important to teach them their value and worth at home.  Sports and other activities do help in that but its imperative that children receive their best training and acceptance at home from their family.  It eases the pain when you do fail at activities in school if you have a loving, supportive parent who is a spiritual and personal guide. 

At times, maybe it is good to let some child know that they are important and if showing up and doing things and attending are emphasized correctly, it sets the tone for how a person sees life in the real world.  I hear Joel Osteen always preach that show up, do your best, be a person of integrity even if you aren't the boss or the chosen one.  I think it means you are appreciated by your own self-worth and your sense of value are important to God, if no one else.  Maybe a little trophy is good as long as the home values are taught to children. 

I don't think the sense of entitlement or confusion that millenials feel is coming from anything but often parents and family who are too busy to take time to teach them values and often, they want to be the kids friend rather than do the hard work of being parents.  They feel this is the best solution and do it with good intentions oftentimes but the after effect is often what they are experiencing now.  Many parents are busy earning a living and aquiring things and prestige and are "busy" and then don't have time to square their children away at home. 

Respected Contributor

I saw this story on the news a few days ago.  I completely agree with that dad.  Trophies and awards should be earned.  Kids need to learn that you have to work for things in life.  You're not always going to be a winner.  It may be that someone else won, maybe try harder next time and it will be you.  As long as you know you did your best, you should be proud of yourself. There are hard knocks in life and you have to dust yourself off and move on. 

Just participating in something doesn't require an award.   It's not madatory that you sign up to play in teams.  It is mandatory that you go to school/work everyday.  That, I feel should be recognized.

Valued Contributor

I think a participation certificate is good, I think anything more than that should be reserved for achievement only.    Kids need to learn that not EVERYTHING they do is worthy of accalades,  they are not going to be praised for every little thing in the real world.  Just "showing up" to a job is not good enough, you have to actually do it.  With all thing in life, just "showing up" does not net you any rewards.