Honored Contributor

Re: Giving kids trophies for just showing up

My son is in the millenial category and I told him since he was little, there will always be someone better than you. Someone bigger, smarter, faster, better looking, so just do what you want in life and do your best. I don't think kids should get awards for just showing up because some kids will be ok with that and never do the work to excel.

Honored Contributor

I don't have a problem with participation awards when the kids are in elementary school.  Sports should be a pleasant experience to keep kids interested in being active physically.  

There's plenty of time to toughen them up for life.

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I don't have a problem with participation awards when the kids are in elementary school.  Sports should be a pleasant experience to keep kids interested in being active physically.  

There's plenty of time to toughen them up for life.

I received an award when I was in elementary school and never knew what it was for.  There was an assembly and my name was called and I looked at my teacher like what am I supposed to do and she nodded to me to go up there.  The principal shook my hand and then handed me an award.  

I knew I had not finished first in any sports competition.  When I got home I threw it out.  I was embarrassed by the whole affair....having to go up there in front of all my school friends knowing it was bogus.   I didn't even show my family.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@LyndaGee wrote:

Come to think of it, they did something similar when I was a kid - At camp everybody received an award when the season ended. 

Fine by me. I think young children need recognition.

As for sports trophies, I think there are ways to include everyone but still recognize performance as well.

I'm not quite ready to bemoan how we're ruining children because they should learn how hard life really is.

ITA.   I used to practice Taekwondo for many years & helped out with the Junior division.  The Pomp & Circumstance of 'earning' a belt/different level put SO much pride into those kids!  In fact...so much pride, our studio had a low attrition rate...and these kids continued on to Black Belt status as adults.  And yes, you EARNED that Black Belt #testify! 

There is a tipping point, though.  It's usually around the time when kids begin to understand right/wrong when one begins to really earn something. Around the 8-9-10ish range.   

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@LyndaGee wrote:

Come to think of it, they did something similar when I was a kid - At camp everybody received an award when the season ended. 

exactly......it really isnt anything new.

i was in state orchestra and instrument competitions and even if you didnt place you still received a certificate of merit or participation or effort.

I was also in "all city/all state bands". You tried out and you either made it on you musical ability or you didn't. They would say to those that didn't make the cut: Practice/Practice/Practice, and maybe next year you will be good enough to make playing in the band.

Yes, I tried out twice and made the cuts. 1st Seat 3rd Trumpet/Cornet.

i was in those types of competitions also.

what i was referring to was when your elementary school, junior high,or high school was in a state competition......the entire group (made up of all levels of musicians.....some good and some not so good). there were orchestras that came in first, second, third,......honorable mentions......and certificates of participation.......all with scores.

i doubt that it hurt anyone to receive these recognitions.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I also got one of these things when I was in high school from President Nixon. It promptly went into the trash too.   Again, I did nothing to deserve it.....didn't want it, didn't require it.  

Honored Contributor

@foundinlv wrote:

I also got one of these things when I was in high school from President Nixon. It promptly went into the trash too.   Again, I did nothing to deserve it.....didn't want it, didn't require it.  

For kids who take the Physical Fitness Test,* we offer awards for every fitness level based on these standards for the activities:

• Presidential Physical Fitness Award—To earn this award, students must score at or above the 85th percentile on all five activities.
  • National Physical Fitness Award—Students earn this award for scoring above the 50th percentile on all five activities.
  • Participant Physical Fitness Award—Students earn this award if they participate in all five activities, but one or more of their scores fall below the 50th percentile.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Maybe in nursery school/pre-school/kindergarten/1st grade, given to the little ones.  Maybe mini-trophies or mini-awards for at least trying.  But, for older kids, I'm thinking that it could be counter-productive.  In other words, why try at all.............Just thinking out loud.  I had many gold stars for attendance, excellent grades (I studied way too much), etc.  Not each and every student had all of those stars on the wall. There were two or three of us who had the most.  However, the other students didn't seem to mind at all.  They just carried on, and probably had 'way more' interesting after-school childhoods.   

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@foundinlv wrote:

For kids who take the Physical Fitness Test,* we offer awards for every fitness level based on these standards for the activities:

• Presidential Physical Fitness Award—To earn this award, students must score at or above the 85th percentile on all five activities.
  • National Physical Fitness Award—Students earn this award for scoring above the 50th percentile on all five activities.
  • Participant Physical Fitness Award—Students earn this award if they participate in all five activities, but one or more of their scores fall below the 50th percentile.

I was always physically strong and do remember taking the test.  But for me it was no different from breathing.  I didn't consider it an extraordinary accomplishment or an accomplishment at all.  I had other things on my mind......like what I was going to do with the rest of my life....how I would support myself and where I would live.  

Honored Contributor

@foundinlv wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@foundinlv wrote:

I was always physically strong and do remember taking the test.  But for me it was no different from breathing.  I didn't consider it an extraordinary accomplishment or an accomplishment at all.  I had other things on my mind......like what I was going to do with the rest of my life....how I would support myself and where I would live.  

Heavy-duty thoughts for a high school kid. But I guess the question is: Did this award hurt or stymie you in any way? And did it perhaps help others, even momentarily, gain a bit so much-needed self-esteem?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland