Trusted Contributor

Re: Giving info to relative doing a "family tree"

If you aren't close, which you state you aren't, I would let he/she do the research. My dad did a whole book on the family tree of our family including all the inlaws which was quite a task. He did the research all on his own.

Esteemed Contributor

I know this is really my distant Cousin....another Cousin I email weekly knows him well and she was the one who gave him my email (with my permission)

I am probably the oldest here in the States that would know the relatives here and that is why he contacted me....

While I can understand wanting to pass down Family geneology, I don't want any long lost people getting in touch with me. I know that sounds selfish, but we are in our late 60's and just don't want to be bothered with people we don't know.

Esteemed Contributor

I have given Ancestry.com kits to my immediate family and several have really enjoyed them. However I saw last weeks 60 Minutes show about gathering DNA data, not necessarily for good.  Companies and countries are in this business; they specifically warned against using such companies as Ancestry.com ( but there are so many bigger things to worry about ).

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I know this is really my distant Cousin....another Cousin I email weekly knows him well and she was the one who gave him my email (with my permission)

I am probably the oldest here in the States that would know the relatives here and that is why he contacted me....

While I can understand wanting to pass down Family geneology, I don't want any long lost people getting in touch with me. I know that sounds selfish, but we are in our late 60's and just don't want to be bothered with people we don't know.

@Nataliesgramma 

If you trust him, I would do it.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

This is a timely topic for me. My brother’s wife started doing. a Family tree months ago. She was contacting everyone, wanting names, dates of birth of everyone and their kids, dates they got married, divorced, photos of weddings (even previous spouses), etc. well my Aunt got really upset about her repeatedly contacting her until my Aunt finally said she was not comfortable giving out that info. Then my SIL sent a not so nice response to her. Shortly after that my Mom passed and my Aunt would not return my brother’s phone call (so he could tell her) because she thought it was about the genealogy info. I had to step in. Then it was uncomfortable at the funeral between my SIL and Aunt. She also upset another relative because he had just lost a sibling and she was asking all these questions. For me, as long as I know the family that I do know, and how to contact them, I don’t have to have details about second cousins and long lost relatives. I don’t know why it really matters to some people.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

Your distant cousin sounds a bit lazy to me. As others have said, this information is available elsewhere. I personally wouldn't spend the time putting it all together for him, especially since you haven't heard from him in years. I'd tell him that it's not a good time for you to spend pulling the information for him, and suggest he go to the websites that others have suggested here.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma Go to the post office on a busy day and pick out 2 people you'd like for close family then think--maybe contacting someone who is basically unknown to me is a bad idea!  LOL!!!!

We tend to think because they are "related" it makes them "special" in some way but in reality they are just strangers.

Honored Contributor

Several years ago someone contacted my daughter on facebook claiming they were related to my grandmother who passed quite some time ago. My daughter showed me all the info and I got a weird feeling about it and told her not to communicate with them. She's a grown woman so I can't control what she does but I don't believe she ever spoke to them again.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

A few times there was a person trying to contact me through AncestryDNA, where I have a profile, and that person messaged me using the message board there. I declined answering any questions because I'm not interested in any relatives I might have, especially ones I've never heard of or don't even know existed. Some things are best kept unknown.

@SilleeMee,  a protocol question of curiosity.  Does Ancestry automatically list your information or do you have to opt in to have it available to others?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

A few times there was a person trying to contact me through AncestryDNA, where I have a profile, and that person messaged me using the message board there. I declined answering any questions because I'm not interested in any relatives I might have, especially ones I've never heard of or don't even know existed. Some things are best kept unknown.

@SilleeMee,  a protocol question of curiosity.  Does Ancestry automatically list your information or do you have to opt in to have it available to others?

@Marp 

I'm not sure exactly how it gets posted at first. After that person contacted me I went into my settings there to make my info private so no one can see or try to match up my info now. I'm sure there was some 'fine print' I missed reading regarding privacy but I wasn't too concerned at the time. That incident took me by surprise to say the least. I always thought I knew who my family was...now not so much and that doesn't bother me but it makes me wonder sometimes.