Honored Contributor

Re: Gifts aren't opened at Showers anymore?

Too many people, too taxing, not environmentally friendly.  Wow.  I don't see a point in a shower.  Just send a card and ask for a check.  Save on pollution from people driving and burning fossil fuel.

Just skip the wedding too.  Go to the JP or maybe get married online.  Saves on carbon footprint, wasted material, food, etc.  Makes sense to me.  

Respected Contributor

If one is environmentally conscious, why not include that in THEIR wedding or baby shower?

If it bothers the guest, don't go. 

Easy peasy.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Trusted Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

'Well, I declare'.........

Anyway, it seems to me that it's more fun for the person to open each gift and thank each guest.  

'Plus', guests do like to see shower gifts, especially at baby showers.  Some baby items are very cute.   Jmo.

@ROMARY Exactly...everyone likes to "oooh and awww". At least I do.

Respected Contributor

My daughter opened gifts at the shower for my twin granddaughters that just turned 12, she had a shower about 18 months ago for her son that was born a bit over a year ago, her bff put the last shower on so I don't remember but the shower that I threw for the twins I do think it was kind of embarrasing for her, she said she always wanted to make sure she was equal with the praise for each gift and all eyes are on you etc, I can see that point also.

Honored Contributor

It's been a while since I went to a shower, and don't care if they open the gifts or not.  They can run long. 

Where I draw the line is attending a gender reveal party.  IMO, that is just a money grab ... why not just put it on facebook?   

Or, here's a novel idea .... wait until the baby is born!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Maybe showers were thought to be too long?????

I'm glad then, I have no more of those to go to.

Respected Contributor

Have not been to one in years but to me that was the best part is checking out the gifts.

I think they open with the future husband or husband and immediate family.  

Respected Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

They even ask you on the invitation not to wrap it or wrap it in clear cellophane. Then they're displayed for you to look, at if you want to. 

That is a good idea.  That way you can peak but not get mixed up in who sent when it comes to thank you.  Maybe they don't do that any more either. 

Honored Contributor

So if the recient doesn't open the gifts, what kappens at showers nowadays?  That sort of was the point wasn't it? Oh so many years agothere were silly games played too/ Today's gen would never understand that though!

Now they're called 'reveal' parties. That's a concept I don't get. Unfortunately sometimes these do not go well. I say let's wait until that new bundle of joy is born and then everybody knows girl or boy.

Honored Contributor

I recently attended a bridal shower. All gifts were opened. My gift was intentionally wrapped in cellophane by my choice, not by following orders, due to its odd shape and my inability to find a decent box. The bride and groom still unwrapped it and looked through all the components.