Respected Contributor

I think I'm going to answer my own question.

I do not like to be gifted items that I have to display.

I have enough do-dads!

But I have a gallery wall of travel prints that my adult children and others admire and make nice remarks. I'm thinking of gifting them small (5x7) prints of places that they have traveled. 

What are your feelings about giving or receiving decorative items?

I just want my gifts to have some meaning.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gifting Decorative Items

Since I like to choose my own decorative items, I do not give them as gifts.  I wouldn't want anyone to feel obligated to display an item they didn't like. 

Honored Contributor

The only person I ever knew who had taste similar to mine and who could choose decorative items that I loved, was my mother, now gone.  So I'd just as soon not receive such things.  I've got more than enough anyway.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel the same way about getting decorative gifts.

I think if I wanted to gift an item that I had I would just ask my adult child if he/she would like to have the item and make sure that they understood that you wouldn't be upset if they really didn't want the item.

Respected Contributor

I think it's like any other gift. If you see an item and someone immediately comes to mind, someone you know well, and you think from your heart they'd like it, then go for it. The receiver is under no obligation to display or keep it. 

Honored Contributor

@granddi - I think your idea is amazing! My children would love to have a framed print of a place they have visited. I treasure a pen and ink drawing of the city in Belgium where my parents met and lived (before marriage). I have prints of places that are special to our family.

About gifting decorative items - I belong to some different women's groups. When the holidays come around we exchange gifts. I alternate between food gifts (like mugs with tea, bags with candy, etc.) and decorative holiday items. I love picking up unusual little items. One year I found miniature reindeer made from heavy wire by a local man. Over the years I've wondered about giving the decorative items. A lot of the women in the one group of 8 are older than I am. I always justified it by thinking if they didn't want them they could give them to their children. A few years ago at our holiday luncheon one of the group members came up to me and told me how much she appreciates the different gifts I find. She said she has them all throughout her home, and when she gets them out each year she thinks about all of us.

I already have their  gifts for this year (mini lanterns from here). We won't be having our luncheon, but I intend to leave their gifts by their front doors. And I will never stop giving the little decorative gifts I get for my friends every year!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@granddi wrote:

I think I'm going to answer my own question.

I do not like to be gifted items that I have to display.

I have enough do-dads!

But I have a gallery wall of travel prints that my adult children and others admire and make nice remarks. I'm thinking of gifting them small (5x7) prints of places that they have traveled. 

What are your feelings about giving or receiving decorative items?

I just want my gifts to have some meaning.

I'm not a fan of receiving them so I don't give them.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@granddi I'd say it has been a minimalist trend for a while, also as we age we tend to downsize, so I'd say no to gifting display items even if they are thoughtful ones like your idea. 

Trusted Contributor

The people who give me gifts, know me well enough to know my taste, so I enjoy what they pick out for me. Especially from my children. I'm sentimental and if someone thought about me, then I am happy with the gift!! 

Honored Contributor

@granddi : I hate receiving any decorative gifts. Yes- I was taught as a child to appreciate any gift. People have different style. In 2016 we remodeled the kitchen and added a large family room. People have told me they love the room because of wall color and not cluttered therefore feeling peaceful and calm. I have 3 friends that I love but there decorating style is to cover the walls and every inch of the room. I use a walker and need my space. They have given me things and have told me where to hang them. I hate to admit it but items are donated. I feel bad because two of the ladies really can't afford the gift exchange and I have tried to stop it. I have suggested several times that we need to stop and do other things together like taking day trips. They refused the idea. I have a small house and limited storage. I will include a typed letter in all the Christmas gifts explaining my desire to make changes for 2021 and the future- no more monthly gifts, special occasions, birthdays etc. I will not feel obligated if they continue and will not feel guilty for donating items. I don't drive and 95% of my shopping is done on line. This has become stressful trying to find gifts and hoping there will be no shipping delays.I have never believed in a gift closet. I listen to my friends during the year and keep notes because I prefer to give them something that they want or need. This gift exchange started with me and one other person and then she wanted to include husbands and several other friends. I have learned: Be very careful what you start. I am not rich but can afford the gifts. The process has become time consuming and stressful. Just my opinion.