Honored Contributor

Gift suggestions for helpful neighbors

I can use some helpful suggestions on how to repay my neighbors....they are wonderful!

My next door neighbors have been helping us with snow removal.  It started when I did a group text with them and some others on our street asking if they knew of a service that I could hire.

Well Sue next door volunteered her two boys (ages 9 & 11) and told me they were excited to shovel.  This was a few weeks ago and when they did shovel I paid them both for helping.  (DH and I did some shoveling as well). 

The second time she offered her boys again.  This time it was really the oldest and her helping him.  At one point he had to go indoors for virtual school so I gave her money for her boy Ryan.  She insisted that I didn't need to pay him...but I insisted back and she gave him the payment.

The third time she texted me asking not to pay them saying that's what neighbors do for each other....they are so nice but I feel like I should do something for them.  It makes me a bit uncomfortable (not to mention old) for them to keep shoveling my driveway as they are doing once again this morning.

I have been thinking of giving them a thank you gift of some kind (I don't want to give any homemade food gifts) and I'm willing to purchase something...I just don't know what.  

Any suggestions?

Respected Contributor

Re: Gift suggestions for helpful neighbors

How about the next time you see the boys out you ask them what restaurants they enjoy.  Then you can get the family a gift card to that restaurant.  Even if they don't feel safe eating indoors they can get it delivered.

Or, if things are open in your area, a gift card to a trampoline park, the zoo (outdoors), or since you are in a snowy area, a gift card to a ski area that has inner tubing - those activities are fun for the whole family.

Esteemed Contributor

Rstaurant gift card for the family to enjoy in person or for takeout/ delivery? 

Italian/ pizza is always good.

Whle ITA that the Mom is teaching her sons an important lesson at a young age (Brava!!) I think you were right to insist on giving each of them some $ to show that you appreciate and value theim and their help.

Honored Contributor

@Travone An activity for the family is a great idea! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@queendiva I think that's what she is doing...teaching her boys to just be good & caring people. ....but on my end I have to do something for them!

Esteemed Contributor

How about a custom gift package from Wolferman's? We sent one to my husband's boss and it was his favorite gift. It consisted of 4 package of their huge English muffins and delicious jams. Definitely a crowd pleaser. 

Trusted Contributor

@haddon9 - They sound like wonderful neighbors. What about a food item from Q? Everything from soup to nuts. Also gives your neighbors a reprieve from cooking which they might appreciate.  This way the whole family can benefit. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

You're undermining the important  lesson the mom is trying to teach her children....you can repay them saying Thank You, praising their work & telling them how much it means to you. Money & gifts are forgotten, life lessons live on.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 Interesting point! 

I asked both of my adult kids this question as well and my son basically said the same thing as you.  ....something to think about and I appreciate different views on this.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9   My suggestion is to do what the mother wants you to do. Nothing right now.  I understand her motives for teaching her kids, and believe 100 percent you should do what she requests.

However ask her if sometime in the next couple weeks you could check with her and order a pizza or something like that for them.  NOT tied to their actions but because they are nice people.  

What way you honor her wishes AND are neighborly back.  

I truly believe that we need to be more ready to comply with what others ask us and not what we think and I am talking to myself here as well!!!

How nice of you, how lucky you are to have good neighbors!  ANd enjoy!