Honored Contributor

Re: Gift suggestions for helpful neighbors

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Sooner I LOVE your answer! Heart I think it  is perfect and doesn't negate what mom is teaching her kids but does show appreciation to the whole family.

I hope the OP sees it!

@Love my grandkids  Thanks.  My thinking was she can thank the kids with kind words and praise, but later do something for the family.  In the spirit of being a good neighbor not as a thank you to the kids.  You got the idea!    And a cute card for them now or a note would be good too. 

Honored Contributor

I would do a gift card for pizza delivery.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9  Pizza, Pizza, Pizza.  Don't know what the price of pizza is in your area, but I would find out and get a gift card that would serve the entire family.  Kids have to eat and they would love it.

It would have been great for the kids to earn some money, but since she said no, give a Pizza gift Card from a place that has great PIZZA.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain, please don't turn this back on the mom. Maybe you have seen out of work people who will shovel snow to earn money, but I sure haven't! This is just a nice neighborly thing that is happening. No need to turn it into something that it isn't.

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@occasionalrain, please don't turn this back on the mom. Maybe you have seen out of work people who will shovel snow to earn money, but I sure haven't! This is just a nice neighborly thing that is happening. No need to turn it into something that it isn't.

This is what kids do to earn extra money every year. Nothing  wrong with what @occasionalrain  said. I would feel guilty not paying the kids everytime they shoveled the snow. How do we know that the kids didn't expect something and loved to do it for free? 

Honored Contributor

What a lovely thought!  I'd get them a fruit arrangement.  Everyone loves fruit arrangements and they never get them for themselves. 

Valued Contributor

Typically boys at that age like goodies & treats to eat.  I was thinking why not sending whoopie pies from the best whoopie pie maker...Wicked Whoopies of Maine!  Their web site is wickedwhoopie.com.  I know we cannot put links but that web site will get you there.  They have about 15 different flavors of cake & filling flavors.  And they even have a huge one that can be used as a cake & serves many people.  It is something they may enjoy with winter still ahead for another month or so depending on your location and for them to enjoy in between their online class time!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@jannabelle1 wrote:

This is what kids do to earn extra money every year. Nothing  wrong with what @occasionalrain  said. I would feel guilty not paying the kids everytime they shoveled the snow. How do we know that the kids didn't expect something and loved to do it for free? 

@Sage04 On the other hand, she is teaching them that you don't always expect pay for what you do for others.  To me that's what the world now needs more of. 

Service and selflessness!