Honored Contributor

Re: Gift-giving season is coming soon....

@lovesrecess wrote:
I am sure the gifts mean absolutely nothing to them since their parents buy them everything they want. Spoiled kids are very difficult to buy for...especially when they get older. I thought about just doing a charitable donation in their name...they wouldn’t know what to think if they saw notification of that!

@lovesrecess - I wouldn't bother with that. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Sometimes young people take everything for granted. They are totally caught up in their virtual world and overwhelmed by school and life responsibilities. They also have access to many, many materials goods and riches.

Does that mean they do not love you or appreciate your gifts? Doubtful!

I rarely give gift cards to family members  (especially youth!) as they are too easily lost and too simple to truly appreciate or remember.

Instead, I find a nice gift (age appropriate) at a reasonable price and ship it (with tracking) to ensure its arrival.

Maybe I do not receive a thank-you card/note (probably an email or text is more their style), but I might get an update..."Johnny has already worn his new football jacket twice."

For teenagers, you may want to start a bank account for future college or home expenses.  You can make deposits and notify them then will receive the balance at a certain age.  You even could consider starting an IRA in their names.

Yes, we Americans are very spoiled with all of our possessions. Another option to truly teach a lesson of giving would be to make a donation in the child's name to a charity, and then send them the notification.

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess  I would send a nice gift basket of fruit or something like that to the whole family. It still shows you care and love them.

Honored Contributor

I would get them each a gift, not a money gift ,but something like a book, or gloves. I would make sure it is nice, but, I wouldn't give them  money. If they don't mention it, you won't be in worse shape than you are now

I would do something nice for a poor family ,with what you save. I am sure they will be happy, and so will you, because helping people, is one of the best feelings in the world

Super Contributor

If they can’t even be bothered to verbally acknowledge your gift, I would not send you. That is beyond rude and inconsiderate. 

Honored Contributor

I would send a check instead of a gift card because at least you would know  if they received the gift.  If they continue not to send a thank you or phone or text, I would stop the gifting.      (kind of o/t,  but I'm noticing in stores, beauty salons, etc., many do not say thank you when the purchase/service is paid for.  I think that is rude.)

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

Maybe you'd hear something from them it the card was only a card.

=======

@Mary Bailey  she could make the envelope look tampered with (a peeling edge and a little scotch tape sealing the flap). Suddenly she'd get a call "Grandma, there was nothing inside your card". 

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

Maybe you'd hear something from them it the card was only a card.

=======

@Mary Bailey  she could make the envelope look tampered with (a peeling edge and a little scotch tape sealing the flap). Suddenly she'd get a call "Grandma, there was nothing inside your card". 

@lovesrecess or send something in a self addressed stamped envelope thank you card inside of a Christmas card..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I was taught to thank everyone for their gifts, or else my parents threatened to take it away from me until I did.  I never forgot!   

My girls were taught very early in life to thank in person, by phone call, or handwritten note.   They were never allowed to spend any monetary gift until the thank you was done.   

I do not have grandchildren, but after seeing how my MIL handled hers, I would never stop remembering them on birthdays and Christmas, for any reason.   

My MIL made the decision to stop gifting the grandchildren on birthdays and Christmas once they graduated from high school.   She announced that on Christmas Day as she handed out cards to the younger grands, but assured the older ones they would receive a gift from Grandma if they got married or had a baby!   And then she wondered why the older grands stopped coming to see her, and of course never felt she had done anything to keep them away.   

My MIL could well afford to continue gifting the grandchildren who still lived close, and made an effort to come around regularly.   The last 2 years she lived, she bought more than $20,000 worth of QVC merchandise yearly!   My MIL gave up the relationship with 5 of her grandchildren to save herself $250 a year.   

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Of course you should send something. However, no need to be overly generous since they seemingly don't appreciate your gesture. I do blame the parents because they need to set an example too.

@AuntG  Not to be snarky but just curious, why should they send something?