Honored Contributor

Re: Gift for thyroid cancer patient

@PamfromCT wrote:

Dear ShowMe,

I am truly sorry for all you are going through by yourself.  You sound like a very strong woman.  I wish I could help.  I know there are many of us who wish we could help you out.  I am glad your sister is coming, as she will be a comfort to you as well as a helper.

Please keep us advised of your situation, daily posts if you can.  I know you don't feel like eating, but I wonder if your doctor has recommended protein drinks.  

I also wonder if there is someone you could talk to re possibly getting more help, like a volunteer situation.  I don't know where you live, or if you have any particular religious affiliation, because sometimes there are groups looking for people they can help out.  Just a thought.

So I will tell you what I can do.  I have a particular devotion to Padre Pio, an Italian saint, who is known to have great powers of intervention with God.  I will ask him to ask God to help you out here.  I don't know if this is in your belief system, but this has helped me in the past.  

Please take care, and know YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!

Pam

@PamfromCT........Pam, thanks so much for your kind words.  Yes, I do know that I AM NOT ALONE.......  I do know that prayer groups all around the country have had me on their prayer list, plus many others have had me in their daily prayers.  Do believe in the power of prayer and that HE is always with me. 

Don't know if you have ever noticed the "ShowMe's Mr. Lucky" thread on here.  That is where I usually post daily.  Not all days, but most of the time.  This thread was started just shortly after I brought my little boy home from San Antonio on the plane.  Have really had a lot of fun with him....he is now just a little over 2.....like a teenager.  Has turned into a real beauty.  Want you to know you are welcome to join in with us.  It is a wonderful group of women and know they would welcome you with open arms. 

It has been a long road, and I have made it this far.  Don't know how many more treatments I have to look forward to, but will continue with them no matter what.  Just have to beat this cancer.  My oncologist is pleased with the progress I have been making.  Yes, we have discussed the eating situation several times.   I to take Boost with extra Protein daily, and since I don't eat a whole lot, I do get a good amount of my veggies through V8 juice.......and my daily vitamin......  I do try to eat at least one good meal a day.....even if I can't finish the whole meal.  Find that I enjoy munching on raw carrots, cucumbers, green peppers, celery, broccoli, and the such........

I really don't mind driving myself to the treatments.....and back home.  While I am there, I do have a tablet, so I am able to play some games to make the time go by faster.  By the time they take my blood to be sure everything is good for the treatment, and my vitals, then I know I have only one hour when that first drip starts.......  Do take a Boost and some of those Sunshine Bakery bars with me as a treat.......  That chocolate Boost is really very good.....

Really, I am ok........, and am trying to take the best care of myself that I can.

Please do keep me in your thoughts and prayers.......It means a lot to me.  Bless you........ 

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@ShowMe, showering blessings upon you! We have exchanged posts before, both sharing the experience of melanoma. We have so much more in common like no kids and so few relatives and living in an area with no family so we do the hospital and recovery thing alone. You are such an inspiration to me and so many others on this board, just keep the faith that your full recovery is the happy end to the long road you've been on. Like @PamfromCT, I am drawn to the spirit of Padre Pio, one of my spiritual "heroes," and will ask that his saintly healing powers be a gift for you today.

Good morning Maggie.......once again, thanks for your kind words.  Yes, I remember our posting to each other......  One thing I have found to be an advantage, is that I may be alone physically, but am never really alone.  That is a good feeling.  If I couldn't say my prayers and believe, know I would not be as far along with this as I am.  I do have my down days, but believe that is normal under the circumstances......But usually I am pretty up and fight to continue to be that way.  It is not good to feel sorry for ourselves, and say why me, etc.  That will knock a person down.......and I don't want to be knocked down. 

Want you to know we would love to have you join in with us on Mr. Lucky's thread too.  Wonderful group of women and know they would welcome you too........

Have a Blessed and safe weekend. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

@MaggieMack wrote:

@ShowMe, showering blessings upon you! We have exchanged posts before, both sharing the experience of melanoma. We have so much more in common like no kids and so few relatives and living in an area with no family so we do the hospital and recovery thing alone. You are such an inspiration to me and so many others on this board, just keep the faith that your full recovery is the happy end to the long road you've been on. Like @PamfromCT, I am drawn to the spirit of Padre Pio, one of my spiritual "heroes," and will ask that his saintly healing powers be a gift for you today.

Good morning Maggie.......once again, thanks for your kind words.  Yes, I remember our posting to each other......  One thing I have found to be an advantage, is that I may be alone physically, but am never really alone.  That is a good feeling.  If I couldn't say my prayers and believe, know I would not be as far along with this as I am.  I do have my down days, but believe that is normal under the circumstances......But usually I am pretty up and fight to continue to be that way.  It is not good to feel sorry for ourselves, and say why me, etc.  That will knock a person down.......and I don't want to be knocked down. 

Want you to know we would love to have you join in with us on Mr. Lucky's thread too.  Wonderful group of women and know they would welcome you too........

Have a Blessed and safe weekend. 

@ShowMe, thank you so much for extending that invitation! Smiley Happy I will definitely take you up on it, never been on that thread until today. It will take a week or so, I'm getting ready to head out for a golfing vacation. Unlike some posters, I will read ALL 2,554 pages before I post anything. Wishing you and Mr. Lucky a most wonderful and upbeat weekend!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Frequent Contributor

I love all the suggestions already made.  Sometimes friends don't know how to accept help when it is offered.  It can really help to hav somone say "I'm going with you to your treatment tomorrow" or "I'm going to come over and do a little house cleaning for you today, what sounds good for lunch?"  If you can't help in person then saying, "I'm sending a cleaning service over on Thursday to ....." .  Don't give them the chance to say no out of pride or just not wanting to inconvenience you!

You are a wonderful friend.  And we all need lots of friends of all kinds! 

Esteemed Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

If this woman will be undergoing any kind of post susrgery treatments (chemo or radiation), the skin does get very dry, and it is important to keep it moisturized.  I would steer away from anything that is scented because it may bother her.  I have to be careful with body lotions........  By the way, the nurse in the room where we were getting our treatments on this past Tuesday, she recommen ded that we use Aveeno (unscentedk) with oatmeal in it.  She said that is the best and most healing. 

Also something else I have thought of is antibacterial hand soap, and the sanitizing gel........very important to keep the germs away.......

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was going to say the same things. GMTA

Regular Contributor

These are all wonderful suggestions. Thanks everyone for taking the time to share them. This one is a little difficult though because I don't actually know this woman. It's my boss's wife.

Honored Contributor

@pjoy wrote:

These are all wonderful suggestions. Thanks everyone for taking the time to share them. This one is a little difficult though because I don't actually know this woman. It's my boss's wife.

@pjoy....Still think the idea of the gift certificates in a "Thinking of You" card would be a nice thing for her whether or not you know her.  You work for her husband, am sure he would appreciate your thoughtfulness all the same.  You have probably met her, and she knows who you are through her DH, so you really shouldn't feel uncomfortable offering to help where you can. 

Many folks have been praying for me that don't even know who I am......, so maybe you could have some prayers said for her......that would be a comfort for her if she has a belief.......

Am sure what ever you do, it will be the right choice.

Esteemed Contributor

Dear ShowMe,

Thank you for pointing out your thread.  And thank you for your sweet words.  And thank you for inviting me to join your thread.  I will gladly do so.  I am glad you have a furbaby with you.  I am a big-time animal lover myself.  All my best.