Super Contributor

Re: Gift for neighbor who is moving away

A little note tucked with some Beekman 1802 goodies. HSN has free shipping on most of their items and the warehouse sale ends today from their site.

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

How about a framed photo of the exterior of their house?

@arubakathy 

I love this idea @lolakimono That is the perfect gift!

@manny2  and @lolakimono We did that for our son and DIL when they moved. We took one of their favorite photos of the old house and had it made into a canvas for hanging.

@lolakimono @manny2 @PA Mom-mom 

When we sold our home our realtors gifted us a framed watercolor rendition of our home. I treasure it!

Esteemed Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

How about a framed photo of the exterior of their house?

@arubakathy 

I love this idea @lolakimono That is the perfect gift!

@manny2  and @lolakimono We did that for our son and DIL when they moved. We took one of their favorite photos of the old house and had it made into a canvas for hanging.

@lolakimono @manny2 @PA Mom-mom 

When we sold our home our realtors gifted us a framed watercolor rendition of our home. I treasure it!

@magicmoodz@PA Mom-mom 

Anyone can give a gift card (and I do many times) but their friend is leaving and something lasting like a sketch or picture would be lovely.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

Not sure how I would feel about the picture thing.  I mean if you're leaving maybe it isn't really that much of an attachment?   I think a gift card was the better idea, maybe look up to see if Home Depot or Loew's is in their new area.  You always need something from those stores when you move to a new place.   Much more practical, IMO.

@LindaSal  That was my first thought too. I can't wait to move from my house I've lived in for almost 40 yrs. During that time almost everything had to be repaired (including part of my foundation!) Or replaced at least once. It is wood frame so I had to have it painted several times. It is an old home so the closets are tiny.  I have way outgrown it.  When I move I never want to see it again!

Honored Contributor

I would give a gift card or send a nice floral arrangement or mixed green planter to their new address once they relocated.  

I've moved recently.  Did not want to have even one more thing to pack and move, before the big move.  Most of us, in this situation, are getting rid of things as fast as we can.

sorry, but I would thank someone for giving me a framed photo of the house I left, but I would not want this, at all.

most of us have many such photos, and get access to many more when the real estate agents take  their photos for the sale.  I have never hung any photo like this in the homes  I've moved to.   

Honored Contributor

Why don't you take them out to dinner somewhere nice before they leave (outdoors if you still don't want to eat out indoors) and have one last nice evening together reminiscing?

Respected Contributor

A gift card to a place you know they will appreciate.

Trusted Contributor

Why not look up their new state flower and see if  you can buy them one to plant in their new home?

If you can't get the state flower, you can get them another type of flower that they can plant.  It will remind them of you every time they look at it.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

Not sure how I would feel about the picture thing.  I mean if you're leaving maybe it isn't really that much of an attachment?   I think a gift card was the better idea, maybe look up to see if Home Depot or Loew's is in their new area.  You always need something from those stores when you move to a new place.   Much more practical, IMO.

Glad to see this post.  Not all of us want to dwell on a place we wanted to leave!

The ones staying behind might feel this way.  A gift should be something the giftee would want...not what the gifter thinks they should want.  

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@LindaSal wrote:

Glad to see this post.  Not all of us want to dwell on a place we wanted to leave!

The ones staying behind might feel this way.  A gift should be something the giftee would want...not what the gifter thinks they should want.  

@september. Was "dwell" a pun?😂