Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gift for neighbor who is moving away

I love the idea of a picture of their current home.  I'm sure they will look at it with great fondness and also a reminder of your friendship.  @arubakathy 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some good ideas mentioned. One thing I've done before is give something from where you live* with a note 'hope you always remember that someone in __________ appreciates, loves and misses you". 

Yes, it's one more thing to pack but that's a short-term issue and they might really be glad to have it long-term. Also, maybe consider something that's useful and wouldn't affect they're decor palette/taste.

*ie blanket that depicts places in the area, photographic coffee table book of the local scenery, anything your area is known for

Honored Contributor

How about an LL Bean Canvas tote with the old address on it?  Or the new city name, or something you shared, a saying or something?

Esteemed Contributor

Not sure how I would feel about the picture thing.  I mean if you're leaving maybe it isn't really that much of an attachment?   I think a gift card was the better idea, maybe look up to see if Home Depot or Loew's is in their new area.  You always need something from those stores when you move to a new place.   Much more practical, IMO.

Frequent Contributor

I think what would be treasured the most is a handwritten note expressing how you appreciated their friendship and kindness and that you will miss them as neighbors. Too often we get hung in the material things and forget to express the words that matter. Then I would add a framed photo of the two of you (if you have one) in front of their home. Not just a photo of the home itself.  

I do like the Home Depot card if you want to add that too but it's probably not necessary. 

Trusted Contributor

@arubakathy - IF it is feasible, maybe give them a small potted plant, such as a gardenia, that they could plant in their new yard - something to say 'thank you' and to remember you.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

I gave a nice note to my wonderful neighbors who moved away AND an Amazon card.  I gave up giving gifts a long time ago.  No idea what they would like and they would have to pack it and or carry it along. 

If I were moving I would think some sort of gift card would be appropriate.  

Respected Contributor

I agree with the gift card idea given inside a 'New Home' greetings card.  While the photo of the original home is sentimental, it might make them homesick.  Moving isn't easy esp. when you've lived in the same place for a # of years.  Even one of those Visa cards that you can spend anywhere or Lowe's/Home Depot/Bed Bath & Beyond, etc....

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

If you know where they moving, how about a gift card to a restaurant in their new town? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are people who do sketches of homes. We had one do one of our home when we moved. It doesn’t make us homesick but we still enjoy seeing it for the memories. Perhaps you can find someone where you are and they can do that and send it to them. They do the sketch only from the outside so there is no inconvenience to anyone. The person who did ours was an art teacher. Not expensive but she was very talented. You could also give a gift card before they go with a nice card. The sketching would be a wonderful surprise.