Respected Contributor

Re: Gift for girl age 12-14?

I think no show or crew socks in different patterns and colors. (Target). Cozy socks (Old Navy), Lightly scented body sprays ( Bath&Body Works), Lip gloss or nail polish in pretty pink shades (Target or Ulta).

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

You have been given lots of good ideas. I just want to insert a word of caution

Many people have nut allergies, and they can die from exposure to nuts

I wouldn't take a chance putting that in a gift. It's a nice idea for people that can eat them

Unless you know for sure ,the gift will got to someone able to eat nuts, I would omit them

Honored Contributor

Something not bulky because in a shelter you don't have much room or if you are homeless you don't have a closet.  If anyone here is connected with a shelter and has ideas, please post.

Could you call a shelter and get ideas and post back so some of us could buy and donate items that they would need?  That would be a nice thing!  

Honored Contributor

Since a "wish" wasn't included I would buy a fluffy throw/blanket, socks, toiletries, and a gift card. We bought gifts for a "forgotten" 71 yr old man (that's what was written on the card off the tree). 

Regular Contributor

Thank you all so much for your wonderful ideas! I think a trip to Target is in order. The gifts are not to be wrapped, but I think I will get a collection of items and include a gift bag/tissue paper they can alll be used to stuff into. I know the name of the shelter they're going to, so I may call them and ask if they have any particular wants. Thanks again!

Trusted Contributor

I have a 14 year old; all she wants is beauty gifts from ulta/Sephora and clothes from PINK😳

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

@10grands wrote:

Under those circumstances (going to shelter), I would not give a gift card.   But gloves, warm hats, a nice throw  (they can be purchased very inexpensively).   I would give things that would be used by her - a gift card could be used for others.

I agree.  She's in a homeless shelter and doesn't have a place to store all these extra things.  I think something that provides warmth would be the best choice.  Who knows where she is during the day.  She may be cold.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would not do the gift card. If she’s homeless, she may have trouble getting anywhere to shop, also the card could fall into other’s hands which means she got no gift.  Also since you don’t know size, no clothing that has to fit. There are some other good suggestions here. Target is a good idea. 

Not a blanket, because it’s too bulky, but throw would be nice. Super soft. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pjoy

The biggest complaint from my homeless patients is that their belongings are stolen -- especially when they're in shelters.

Socks!  Sturdy ones.  My patients never have good, clean, warm socks.

As others have suggested, cap, gloves, scarf.

Some kind of wallet or small zippered bag that she can keep important items in, close to her body for safekeeping.

Toiletries.  A good quality soap in a case.  Wipes for convenience.  Lip balm.  Maybe dry shampoo?  Wide tooth comb.  Compact mirror.  Toothbrush, paste, floss.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@pjoy

How about markers, coloring pencils, adult coloring books?

Tons of ideas at a Michaels store. You can get a lot there.

Wish I had more time to color. Miss being young and carefree!