Respected Contributor

My DH and I are invited to the son of a friend's Eagle Scout ceremony.  Just wondering, is it appropriate to bring a gift?  And if so, suggestions???  Cash???  The father is a friend of my DH, I do not know him nor his wife very well (we have met a couple of times at social events).  Do I just take a Congratulations card???

Any help is appreciated!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gift for an Eagle Scout?

[ Edited ]

Congrats to your son's friend.  My youngest son became an Eagle Scout in 2012, and we had a wonderful ceremony.  Most (if not all) of the gifts he got were from leaders in the Scout community, and something from the troop.  It is not necessary that you bring something.  But I think a card of congratulations would be nice.  If you want to give a gift and have a Scout store nearby, you can pick something out there.  But if you and your husband are not "into" Scouting, you might be confused about what to get him there.  So I think at least a card, and if you want to give him a gift,  cash or a check or gift card would be appropriate.  I hope that helps!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

It's called the Court of Honor and it's a very special event.

I would give the son an American Eagle silver coin.

Can be ordered through the US Mint.

@redwingsgal

Super Contributor

I think it would be most appropriate to take a card and gift.  Would it be too corny to try to find a silver dollar with the Eagle on the back that was minted in the year the young man was born?  It would be something that would grow in value (hopefully) and that he could keep as a remembrance of the occasion.

just an idea.  I'm sure others will have suggestions.

Honored Contributor

I think a congratulatory card is enough.  However, if you feel like taking a gift, the American Eagle Foundation has nice things in all price ranges on its website.

Esteemed Contributor

My niece had her Gold Star ceremony last summer, (Girl Scout equivalent to the boys Eagle Scout).  There were no gifts just a nice dinner with close friends and family. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I think it is a nice gesture. When our grandson became an Eagle Scout our gift to him was a gift card (Amazon).

Honored Contributor

I love the idea of an Eagle coin--  that is so meaningful!  Wish we had thought of that when the son of a friend had his ceremony.  I think we gave him a nice pen, which admittedly isn't exciting unless you are a pen-o-phile like we are!

But agree that a card with a nice note is lovely and sufficient too.

Esteemed Contributor

1. First of all cogradulations to the scout for it isn't easy. I wish I could read the ideas but I can't because of cataracts. My son became one and I started a collection of eagles. Today he still collects them. He is 58. May be take a picture of him in his uniform and frame it. 
Respected Contributor

I like the idea of the Silver eagle also.  They are easily purchased directly from a coin shop in your area and should cost about $20.00