Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gift Suggestions, Please

If they have a "Beauty Salon".......get her a certificate to get her hair done or a manicure.....

I did this for an elderly woman and she was in tears saying how it made her "feel pretty again"

New Contributor

Does your friend use a walker or cane? How about a fun printed scarf to wrap 

top part of cross bar on walker? Or maybe around upper third  of walking cane)below

where her hand would embrace...

After unwrapping the scarf you could share ways it could be used & she'd

definatley remember you with warmth! And others would enjoy seeing it as

well... 

I didn't know this site existed & when reading reviews of things I wanted to buy, I always wished there was a place for customers to Q & A...or chat... I am very excited to find this at this late hour(5:30AM) as I search once again for reviews of things.

Is there a way to follow this thread? Love to hear what you do bring & how

your friend liked it... Best to you !

Respected Contributor

I work in a nursing home with several MS residences. Flowers and plants are not a good idea for several reasons. The one thing all of these people miss are simple food items. Hard candy, pre wrapped crackers with peanut butter, individually wrapped cookies such as Cheryl's sold her on QVC. First call the nurses station to check on dietary restrictions. Also, you might want to stop at a coffee shop and bring a good cup of coffee which she can not get at her facility. Most important gift is time and you are doing that with your visit.

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

If they have a "Beauty Salon".......get her a certificate to get her hair done or a manicure.....

I did this for an elderly woman and she was in tears saying how it made her "feel pretty again"

This is a great gift.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
@tansy wrote:

Maybe you can call one of her caregivers to get a few ideas as to what would be a welcome treat or small present.  I imagine your friend will just be happy to have you stop by.

Excellent, call caregiver for ideas. They know best. Lovely scented (if no allergies) skin cream. ???? Someone can apply for her.

Trusted Contributor

If it is allowed, maybe a floral arrangement.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My grandmother always liked it when I would polish her nails. You could give her her own home manicure with a bowl of hot water and soap, a little filing, and a gentle hand massage, then some pretty polishSmiley Happy

That also gives you time to visit and talk about things and just enjoy each other's company.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker. Try to find out if she has any diet limitations. If not, she's love something homebaked or food that's homemade. 

My Mom appreciates those gifts from visitors the most. She always complains about the institutional food.

Respected Contributor

Subscription to Audible for her to try.  She can listen to books.

Honored Contributor

How about some nice body lotion or hand Cream?