Frequent Contributor

Re: Gift Suggestions, Please

I am sorry to hear about your neighbor's health. As i have a very dear aunt in 

a nursing home, i know about what you can or can't have there. So, my 

suggestion might be a little wrap, sweater, or shrug that she could put over

her shoulders to keep warm. The older they get, the colder they feel.

Honored Contributor

If you decide on a clothing item, be sure to put her name or initials somewhere on it so it won't get lost in the laundry.    And take a picture of her wearing it in case it comes up missing.

Respected Contributor

As someone who is very sensitive to scent, I'd say PLEASE do not give scented lotions/creams unless you are absolutely sure it is something they would like. 

When my mom was in an assisted living facility, the things that were most useful to her were music CD's, books on CD, and "credit" to her account at the in-house beauty salon and cafe. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

My sister lives in a nursing home.  I was surprised at everything that wasn't allowed.  It's probably best to call the nursing home and ask to speak with her nurse.  The nurse will know what she needs or could use.  Everything likely needs to be labeled with her name.  The home may do that for you.

My sister's home doesn't allow flowers for fear the patients will eat them.  They don't allow picture frames with glass for fear they break.  Things you may think are innocent, may be restricted.

Respected Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

I plan to visit a former neighbor who is a permanent resident in a convalescent home.  I'd like to bring her something, but I'm stumped.   She's in her 60's and has very limited mobility due to MS and is going blind in one eye.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  

I would call the facility and speak to the nurses or people who attend her, who know her status and what might be welcome (and not).

Over half of us who have MS have cognitive impairments, sometimes quite severe, and this would make suggestions for  audiobooks or even music questionable (the focus and appreciation may not be there). You don't mention comorbid conditions, but many of us with MS have them, and they, as well as medications, could limit appropriate food gifts. I second the concerns about scented anything.

It may sound trite, but your presence is really the gift I'm sure she'll most appreciate. I'd speak to the nurses to find out the best ideas if you really want to bring something.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

If you decide on a clothing item, be sure to put her name or initials somewhere on it so it won't get lost in the laundry.    And take a picture of her wearing it in case it comes up missing.

The clothing is washed in very hot water and not pretreated like you would at home. Hate to say this, don't spend alot of money. Even with names in clothing they still disappear. 

Super Contributor

I like to give miniature non breakable art.  Maybe a card signed by other neighbors also?