Esteemed Contributor

Re: Getting rid of skin tags on eyelids and round the eye.

USing any OTC product to remove skin tags around the eye is very dangerous indeed. I am very sure that if you were to order any of these products the directions would tell you not to use it in the eye area.  You could damage your vision.  

Honored Contributor

I was at my yearly derm appt last week and he froze of several skin tags the I've had. They've already dropped off and are practically gone to the naked eye!  Yippee!!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I have these on my chest. Are you serious this will make them go away? I will try this also I see someone says Riteaid carries something. That's my drug store I will check them out if the ACV doesnt  work. Thankd everyone.

Honored Contributor

My friend's daughter had raised white bumps all over her eyelids and her doctor was lasering them off little by little because it was extremely painful.  I'm not sure exactly what you have but I would see a doctor since they are on the eye area.

If those of you who had this done don't mine sharing, did you have to pay for this or did your insurance pay?  As of about 2 years ago, our insurance will no longer pay for skin tag removal.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You shouldn't even need to see a dermatologist.  My internist removed my tags during a regular office visit using a liquid nitrogen-like substance that freezes them.  It was painless and two weeks later, you'd never know they were there.  Usually insurance won't pay for their removal since it's considered cosmetic.  You don't want to use some home remedy around your eyes.  Most home remedies are only marginally effective to not at all. 

This is true UNLESS you state or it appears that the skin tags are causing issues such as making it difficult to open and close your eyes or affecting your vision in some way. 

I've had a few removed and some were covered by my insurance company because they were in areas that caused issues: back of neck, for example. Wearing a collor would cause the tag to rip and bleed and  the area would swell up/become sore. Under the arm interfered with shaving/applying deoderant again, it would rip/constantly be rubbed by the skin and the sore wouldn't heal. I had no idea until I saw the bill after the doc sent it to my insurance company and then I received the bill. 

Talk to your doctor and see what he/she says. My Primary Care doc took care of it, btw.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

You shouldn't even need to see a dermatologist.  My internist removed my tags during a regular office visit using a liquid nitrogen-like substance that freezes them.  It was painless and two weeks later, you'd never know they were there.  Usually insurance won't pay for their removal since it's considered cosmetic.  You don't want to use some home remedy around your eyes.  Most home remedies are only marginally effective to not at all. 

This is true UNLESS you state or it appears that the skin tags are causing issues such as making it difficult to open and close your eyes or affecting your vision in some way. 

I've had a few removed and some were covered by my insurance company because they were in areas that caused issues: back of neck, for example. Wearing a collor would cause the tag to rip and bleed and  the area would swell up/become sore. Under the arm interfered with shaving/applying deoderant again, it would rip/constantly be rubbed by the skin and the sore wouldn't heal. I had no idea until I saw the bill after the doc sent it to my insurance company and then I received the bill. 

Talk to your doctor and see what he/she says. My Primary Care doc took care of it, btw.

ITA. IF they are interfering with your vision and your MD so certifies insurance will probably pay.  OTherwise it is a cosmetic procedure and not covered.  I had a blocked tear duct on my lower eyelid about the size of a sty but it was not red and it was just a blocked gland.  My opthamolgist cut it open and the fluid drained out and it shrunk to nothing.  insurance paid since my doctor said it was interfering with my vision.

Trusted Contributor

@gellen wrote:

Is there a product that you have used to get rid of skin tags?  There are several online, but none seem to receive very good reviews.  Thanks in advance.  Gail

On the upper eye lid i used clear nail polish twice a day for 4 days, it cuts off the blood supply and it fell off on the 5th day, i applied it with 2 swipes and it was painless!

Respected Contributor

Because of the proximity to the eye, don't try to do it youself.  My PCP sent me to an opthalmologist to take mine off.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I had a rather large lump removed from my lower eyelash area at the eye surgeon. He numbed my eye with drops then placed a plastic cover over my eyeball to totally protect it. Removed the lump , stitched it and then removed the plastic cover (it was sorta like a whole eye contact lens). I would never have them removed by anyone except an eye surgeon. 

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@gellen wrote:

Is there a product that you have used to get rid of skin tags?  There are several online, but none seem to receive very good reviews.  Thanks in advance.  Gail

@gellen  I bought something at Riteaid to freeze them off, had one on my neck and a few on my torso, not many, but it did the trick.

How did that work. I'd never put anything that freezes anywhere near my eyes. No way. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval