Occasional Contributor

Getting charged up front for Advance Order items?

Has anybody else noticed that we are getting charged up front for advance orders instead of when it ships? I ordered the TSV (Philip Watson’s Petunias on 3/7/24) and I was charged the easy pay already. I’ve ordered plants in the past from QVC and they were never shipped, usually because there was something wrong with the plants. So if they don’t ship 3 MONTHS FROM NOW am I getting a refund? What gives QVC?
Honored Contributor

Re: Getting charged up front for Advance Order items?

@62cougar.  You are never charged for an order at QVC  until it actually ships.   All internet merchants do a temporary hold on orders just placed to ascertain if the cc is legit but this "falls" off in a few days.  I even get this when I place a grocery order at Walmart or buy gasoline.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

from what I recall from having Advanced orders is there was No pending charge until the order started processing on the date provided .  I don't feel a charge just to see if the credit card will go through is right .  Just because it falls off in a few days ,  what about those that use a debit card and dont want there available funds taken away for a few days ......

it was never done that way ?   I wasn't aware its done that way now .   I don't feel that is a good policy .  I will certainly keep that in mind when purchasing an item on AO now .

Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@62cougar.  You are never charged for an order at QVC  until it actually ships.   All internet merchants do a temporary hold on orders just placed to ascertain if the cc is legit but this "falls" off in a few days.  I even get this when I place a grocery order at Walmart or buy gasoline.

That's what I've found to be standard practice  @Kachina624.

Valued Contributor

The practice of a temporary hold charge on credit cards has been in use by many businesses for years.

Respected Contributor

I just received a top and had been charged two months already upon receipt. I know they do an advance hold but haven't noticed actual charges going through before. Guess shipping is taking longer and I was charged when it actually left the storage area and the order was placed in a time of month where two charges had been sent through, i.e., one at the first of the month, the second at the end. It wasn't on advance order, just a normal order, so it doesn't really apply to your question but wanted to put in my two cents.

Honored Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

I just received a top and had been charged two months already upon receipt. I know they do an advance hold but haven't noticed actual charges going through before. Guess shipping is taking longer and I was charged when it actually left the storage area and the order was placed in a time of month where two charges had been sent through, i.e., one at the first of the month, the second at the end. It wasn't on advance order, just a normal order, so it doesn't really apply to your question but wanted to put in my two cents.

@Carolina925 

I've long suspected they consider an item "shipped" when you get that "a label has been created" message.