Esteemed Contributor

Re: Getting Up Early for Queen Elizabeth’s Funeral Service

I'll watch the highlights. The funeral started at 2 am here.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been watching from the beginning.   Usually I wake up between 5:30 AM and 6, so I didn't set my alarm.  However, at 4:30 AM one of  our smoke alarms malfunctioned and we were awoken by a piercing whistling and then hearing "fire, fire".   Thankfully there was no fire, but I couldn't get back to sleep.

As others have said I remember getting up early to watch Prince Charles and Diana's wedding along with the other weddings and Diana's funeral.  The details and precision of this event are amazing.   I wonder what Prince George and Princess Charlotte are thinking while watching this unfold.  

Honored Contributor

I was up at 7:00 am Eastern and watched for about an hour, seeing the procession from Westminster Abbey to Buckingham Palace.  It was impressive of course, but I must be suffering from "queen funeral fatigue."  It was enough, really.  If I had cable, I'd be watching BBC.  But I had to make do with ABC.  David Weir, Robin Roberts, and their cast of characters were over-commentating - so many of the same facts and sentiments repeated over and over.

Respected Contributor

It started at 2am my time. 
I have zero interest in this. 

Honored Contributor

I was up at 4:30 to watch it all.  I'm up at 5:30 or 6 anyway so a bit earlier was fine.  It's history in the making and I want to see it all.  I want to experience it all

It's so much bigger, grander and more important than all the weddings I got up early to see.  I'm 62, Charles might very well outlive me so I might never anything like this again. I don't feel sad, she was 96 and lived an extraordinary life so I think reverence is what  I feel. It will be strange living in a world in which "Queen Elizabeth" isn't in the news.

Respected Contributor

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-62892350

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Beachmom, I was remembering Charles and Diana's wedding, too--I was in NYC and took a downtown bus to the apartment of friends, where about 25 people gathered, very early in the AM (but it wasn't dark).  Earliest brunch I've ever participated in, but we had a blast.  Diana's dress almost swallowed her up, and at that wedding, the Queen frowned for most of the time, though probably she was just trying to look impassive and not upstage the couple. 

This morning's was really beautiful.  C&D were married in St Paul's, which is very much larger than Westminster Abbey, so the scale was easier to take in.  The simplicity of the sermon really impressed me, especially the point that people who live lives of service are remembered, while people obsessed with power and enforcing their own will do not go down in history as heroes.

The choir sang beautfully--not too over the top, but restrained.  Charles was trying for an impassive face, but he looked devastated. 

After her sudden death, my late mother did not receive a State funeral, of course, but I have to say that the gentle traditions of respecting mourning this AM kind of brought some earlier losses in my own family back. It was moving.

I saw Anne was walking with a cane--I wonder if her career as an equestrienne left her with some injuries. She looked absolutely stoic.  I knew someone in London, a nurse, whose professional association had Anne as a patron--and she told me that Anne worked very hard for children's charities as well as for health care charities.

Regular Contributor

I've been watching since 6am. It's a moment in history, the end of an era. Quite a difference from Prince Philip's service when the Queen was sitting all alone with empty seats around her. I had to keep changing channels in an attempt to find one where the American reporters and their commentators weren't running their mouths throughout the ceremony. 

Honored Contributor

I was up and wanted to watch it live

just like i did for Diana's funeral 

and Willaim's & Harry's wedding

as i see the flowers thrown - very touching

not to be crass - but the poop

they couldnt get someone to walk discreetly and sccop up?

the whole procession had to step it 

Honored Contributor

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-62892350

All the major tv stations have live coverage that started before 4:30 when I woke up. I'm flipping between CNN and MSNBC.