Trusted Contributor

Re: Getting Up Early for Queen Elizabeth’s Funeral Service

Incredible moment in time....I had no plans on watching, but I started at 9:30 and was captivated.  The two moments that brought me to tears were seeing her corgies and King Charles at the end with tears in his eyes; how could you not be moved. Beautifully executed.  

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The end of an era.

No one can give a show of regal pageantry like the British.  It does ease painful transitions.

I must hasten to add that the Church of England, with its liturgy and hymns, lifts the human spirit and softens the blow of death.  It gives one hope of the promised afterlife.

The throngs of respectful spectators; flowers thrown lovingly onto the hearse; the Queen's corgis awaiting the arrival of the hearse at Windsor Castle (one of them truly looked as though he sensed her presence); the blessed absence of English rain; the symbolic removal of the crown, scepter and orb from atop the casket; the lowering of Queen Elizabeth into the vault; Charles nevously biting his lower lip when his mother was fully gone from sight -- I'll remember all this and so much more till the end of my days.

ETA:  beach-mom, how could I forget the lone bagpiper?  The lament that he played as he walked away and then out of sight moved me deeply.

One More Time:  "Tall Paul."  How wonderful that she requested that her trusted aide, affectionately known as Tall Paul,  lead the mourners by walking in front of the gun carriage bearing her casket.

Honored Contributor

There are no words. I got a little bit of sleep then started watching at 4. I almost made it through - fell asleep shortly after the prayer and hymns at the beginning of the main funeral. but woke up shortly before the end. (I did DVR so I can watch the parts of the service I missed). I saw the long walk, and stayed awake for everything else. I didn't want to eat anything, but I did have juice. 

The expression on King Charles' face when everyone sang "God Save the King" really got to me, and to see her longtime bagpipe player, who woke her up every morning wherever she was, "play her out" made me tear up. 

It was a wonderful series of ceremonies to say goodbye. 

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I can't help think of the times in the past I've set my alarm, starting when I was young for the wedding of Prince Charles and Princess Diana, through Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson, and later on to the weddings of Princes  William and Harry.

In the past these have been happy times. For the weddings of the younger princes, DD and I would have tea and scones.

This is not a happy time, and DD has to work, but I feel honored to, in a way, attend this service. 

Who else is getting up early to watch this live?

I'm  88, been through most of her life with her, so yes I'm up till the end. She will be missed, with her large beautiful hats and matching coats. Watched her coronation and the whole works, wasn't going to miss telling her goodbye.

Honored Contributor

It all was just amazing, a once in a lifetime ceremony to see ,what love the British people have for their Queen.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

download (1).jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Too sad, but I'm sure they will have reruns on the news. I missed it and my DVR will only give me so many hous, so didn't record.

Respected Contributor

Such a beautifully orchestrated, memorable event, from day one. There were many times I had tears swell, but also times when I smiled, feeling joy for such a splendid send off, for this long serving Queen.

Seeing the Queen's favorite Fell pony and Corgi's warmed my heart. Of course, she would have demanded they be part of the ceremony. And, of course, she was a generous supporter for animal rescue which was mentioned. It was primarily her love of animals that  made me so fond of her. 

I am glad things will settle soon, though. It's been an emotional situation from afar. I can only imagine how exhausting it has been for those actively involved. 

Honored Contributor

I missed it because I did not know it would be on.  I kept watching the BCC channel to see if anything about the Queen would be on.  I don't know if the Queen knew how much she was loved.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@threecees wrote:

download (1).jpg

This is the job I would want.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.