Honored Contributor

Getting Up Early for Queen Elizabeth’s Funeral Service

I can't help think of the times in the past I've set my alarm, starting when I was young for the wedding of Prince Charles and Princess Diana, through Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson, and later on to the weddings of Princes  William and Harry.

In the past these have been happy times. For the weddings of the younger princes, DD and I would have tea and scones.

This is not a happy time, and DD has to work, but I feel honored to, in a way, attend this service. 

Who else is getting up early to watch this live?

Honored Contributor

Re: Getting Up Early for Queen Elizabeth’s Funeral Service

Today I was thinking the same thing, beach-mom -- that getting up early for a major event in England will be very different this time.  How sad this occasion is. 

I hope to get up early to see all of the funeral.  In any event, if my old body fails me, I have the funeral set to record.   

In honor of the Queen, I had decided that I'll eat a marmalade sandwich and drink tea instead of coffee today.  I have two tins of tea with the Queen's picture on them that I ordered from England for her Platinum Jubilee.  At this moment, I do not have the heart to take them out of their wrappers. 

Frequent Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I can't help think of the times in the past I've set my alarm, starting when I was young for the wedding of Prince Charles and Princess Diana, through Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson, and later on to the weddings of Princes  William and Harry.

In the past these have been happy times. For the weddings of the younger princes, DD and I would have tea and scones.

This is not a happy time, and DD has to work, but I feel honored to, in a way, attend this service. 

I am.  I saw all the Weddings you mentioned plus Edward and Sophie's Wedding.

Valued Contributor

I'm up with you @beach-mom !!  Going to try and get a few hours sleep on the sofa in the den but near TV.  I've also been up for the weddings, etc., so sort of feel obligated to be there for the funeral.  I have so much respect for this wonderful woman and how she conducted herself and devoted herself to this mission she's been on.  I missed the processional the other day and could have kicked myself around the room for missing that, but caught later on you tube.  And of course a little drama from the obviously confused brother and his wife would be interesting !!

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

(thread title)

@beach-mom 

I take it you do not have a DVR or Tivo!  

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I am already up (I am an early riser by nature), so I will be watching while I'm getting ready for work later.  I've already set my DVR to record the day's events.  I won't be watching every single thing, but I'll forward through when I get home.  I want to make sure I don't miss the most important things.

I was too young to remember Prince Charles and Princess Diana getting married (although I certainly remember their divorce!), but I have watched and recorded the weddings of William and Harry and the births/hospital pictures of their children.  I had just started an early maternity leave for my first child when Prince William was married.  I remember sitting there in awe of it all.

This is a very different occasion, but it is historic nonetheless.

Honored Contributor

I am just ready for this to be OVER.

Honored Contributor

I’m awake anyway since I work nights. BBC is on.
Respected Contributor

Yes my kitty, Keiko and I are awake early for the funneral.  I should be able to view the entire service before I have to get ready for work. 

Respected Contributor

YouTube: The Royal Family

State Funeral for Her Majesty The Queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN2vT_jpW1o&list=PLt5nrEHWOIJJzhYJhyD1j0xL7GwVrIrc9&index=1

Live stream of the service in Westminster Abbey which pays tribute to The Queen’s extraordinary reign, and Her Majesty’s remarkable life of service as Head of State, Nation and Commonwealth.