Esteemed Contributor

Getting Rid Of Old Electronics

Our recycling center is taking electronics this weekend.  Good grief, we have 2 old TVs, and I mean old, and 4 lap tops so far that are getting taken out of here. You can't take electronics all the time.

The IT guy where daughter works said to remove the hard drives (You Tube is your friend).  He will take the hard drives to a place where he physically sits and watches them destroyed. If she can't get them out I'm sure he will do it if she takes them to work with her.

Do you have a lot of old electronics around?

Honored Contributor

Re: Getting Rid Of Old Electronics

We are getting rid of an old tv later this month at our town's electronic recycling event.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Our recycling center takes them every day thank goodness so none are hanging around. I can see where it would be quite annoying to have all that stuff around.

Esteemed Contributor

The landfill in our state has an area where you can drop off old electronics any day during the week.  You have to have a state plate of course but they take all electronics for free except for air conditioners which there is a small fee for.   We take about one or two trips down a year, between us and our adult kids there is always some electronic device that has lived out it's life.   Thank goodness for recycling.

Honored Contributor

We have a drop-off place here where we can leave all sorts of items that don't go in normal trash or recycle.

I just bring the stuff down there and it's picked up.

Esteemed Contributor

I wish our recycling center took electronics anytime but we have to wait for these special weekends.

DD takes our regular recycling about evey 2 weeks, of course, it is several miles from here.  Holey moley, we have a lot to take for being only 2 adults in the house. Correction, 2 adults and 2 cats.  The recycling place takes kitty litter boxes too. Can't forget the 4 footed kids.

Esteemed Contributor

I wish our recycling center took electronics anytime but we have to wait for these special weekends.

DD rakes our regular recycling about evey 2 weeks, of course, it is several miles from here.  Holey moley, we have a lot to take for being only 2 adults in the house. Correction, 2 adults and 2 cats.  The recycling place takes kitty litter boxes too. Can't forget the 4 footed kids.

Esteemed Contributor

Our community has periodic electronic recycling events for recent electronics only. Everyone is encouraged to clean the hard drive prior to leaving any computer-type electronics.

Old TV's are not included in recycling events. Heavy, old TV's are only taken through Best Buy for $45 each or the City Landfill (I don't know the fee there).

We were warned over 35 years ago (or longer) to dispose of those monster TV's, yet people still have them in their homes. No wonder they have become such an issue of getting rid of them! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

We have a hazardous waste disposal facility.  You just drive up and they will take things out of the back of your car.  You don't even have to get out of your car.  They used to only do it on the 1st Saturday of the month, but after they built this new facility, it's open every day. They take electronics, old motor oil, flourescent lights, batteries, old yard chemicals, etc.

It's different than the recycling business.  They changed contractors for that a couple of years ago and they stopped taking a lot of stuff the old contractor did.  You can only recycle SMALL MOUTH 1 & 2 plastic bottles, not any 1 & 2 plastic.  Also, even though you couldn't put glass in the bins, you could take it to their facility or different dropoff points around town.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We can take old electronics over to the recycling center anytime they are open.

Every so often they hold a curbside pick up day for televisions that you can call and get on the list for.  They ask if they are flat or tube but will take both kinds.

The second Saturday of the month they take old paint and fluorescent light bulbs.

Twice a year we have hazardous waste day and twice a year they do a paper shred event.