Trusted Contributor

Re: Getting Called Baby By Strangers.

I don't mind being called "honey" or "baby" at all. People nowadays get their panties in a wad over the dumbest things. If this trend keeps up, we're all going to have to duct tape our mouths shut and not say anything at all.

Trusted Contributor

Ha this probably would have made my day. I would have said thanks and checked out. As someone once said, you actually have to take the time to take offense. If someone is genuinely trying to be nice I accept it with the intention they meant. Makes for a happier day.

Honored Contributor

If you just have to use such such "endearments," you would be wise now to limit it to friends and family. These expressions are not appropriate in the workplace because they can be construed as treating the person more like a subordinate than a capable adult.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@Buffalogal47 , and I also might have to superglue my fingers together to keep myself from becoming a "keyboard warrior" on facebook.  I swear I don't agree with a lot of the people, but then they swear they don't agree with mine either.  It's a stand off with all of us ending up "swearing"

Esteemed Contributor

As I stated I was irked or annoyed.  I wasn't offended per se and my panties were certainly not in a wad.

Today I was driving out of a parking lot and a woman exited the building.  I stopped, smiled and motioned for her to cross as I said, "go ahead."

She smiled, said thanks but she was waiting for someone and told me to go ahead. 

It was a very pleasant exchange and there was not one sweetie, hon, babe, toots or darlin spoken.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

If you just have to use such such "endearments," you would be wise now to limit it to friends and family. These expressions are not appropriate in the workplace because they can be construed as treating the person more like a subordinate than a capable adult.

I think most of us would know to draw the line between what's appropriate at work, as opposed to a more social or public setting.

I doubt many who would not have been offended by the OP's experience, would think "endearments" were appropriate at work amongst professional colleagues.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I think most of us would know to draw the line between what's appropriate at work, as opposed to a more social or public setting.

I doubt many who would not have been offended by the OP's experience, would think "endearments" were appropriate at work amongst professional colleagues.

@Venezia, not everybody works in an environment that would be described in that way.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 Yes, I thought you might "challenge" that and almost reworded it.  However, any workplace should be considered professional.  No excuse for anything else, whatever work you do.

So let me make it clear:  "endearments" are NOT appropriate in the workplace.  Unless you're retiring and everyone is saying how wonderful you are.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@suzyQ3 Yes, I thought you might "challenge" that and almost reworded it.  However, any workplace should be considered professional.  No excuse for anything else, whatever work you do.

So let me make it clear:  "endearments" are NOT appropriate in the workplace.  Unless you're retiring and everyone is saying how wonderful you are.

@Venezia, you know me too well. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

If it's said to me kindly and without malice, I take it that way.... Woman Happy

@Q4u   I don't mind either and I'm well into my 70's.  I've never had a term of endearment used in an unkind or sleazy way. As a general rule, I think it's just habit, but,  I myself have used one when someone has gone out of their way to be kind.