Esteemed Contributor

Getting Called Baby By Strangers.

I hate people I don't know calling me baby, honey or sweetie.

Today I ran to a convenience store a couple miles from home. A bunch of guys were getting out of a truck with out of state plates.

I was deciding what I wanted while waiting for someone to check out in front of me. He left and another guy, probably 50 came up and I motioned for him to go ahead as he was holding several items.

I got, "go ahead baby, I have all day."  Baby?  I am 490 in dog years.

I should have gone Julia Sugarbaker on him but if his Mother couldn't teacher him manners I'm not wasting my breath.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Getting Called Baby By Strangers.

I have a friend who calls everybody honey.  Every waiter, waitress, sales person, everybody.   I think she thinks she is being endearing but I often wonder what the recipients of the term think.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I find it sexist and condescending.

DH is the only one that calls me 'baby', which is how he usually addresses me.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

better than being called a bitc*

Honored Contributor

If it's said to me kindly and without malice, I take it that way.... Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@hopi wrote:

better than being called a bitc*

Yeah, I agree.  They can call me those saccharine names anytime they want to, considering the alternatives I've heard Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Just a word to the wise. Remember the times we are living in. You best not give anybody a reason to harm you. I'd smiled and zipped my lip.

I don't fllip the bird at people any more that take parking spots that I have sit and waited for the people to pull out of, people that sit at intersections lights talking on cell phones while the light is green.

Read the paper, watch the news. That woman who's baby got shot I saw on Inside Edition had gave the guy behind her the finger and he got mad and shot at her trunk, shot went thru to the back seat and killed the baby .

If you have a DVD player watch Russel Crowe movie where a woman 

P o's him and she had some serious trouble on her hands. Road rage

movie can't remember the name of it right now. Just one word in the title, but, warning you we're in a different world now. It's not Mayberry any more.

'Unhinged', is the name of the movie. I have a different attitude now.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE   Yep, one reason I didn't say what I wanted to.  Too many people today are 1 can short of a six pack.

Even though their license plate was from the middle of the country they kind of had a Deliverence feeling about them.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom   I hate baby under any circumstances.  DH called me hon or sweetie but he knew better than to use baby or babe.

Another no no is doll.  There was a guy in town that called women doll.  I wanted to punch him everytime he said it.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't accept it in the workplace.

But other than that, if someone's just being nice and that's just the way they talk, I don't really mind being called honey or baby or sweetheart. It's happened all my life.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr