Honored Contributor

Re: Getting Cable Bill Lower

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Spurt

Yep, got it after I posted.   The 'yours' fees were for Sunshine.

@Bridgegal

I made it confusing, corrected my post

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Spurt

Honestly, I don't know the breakdown on our internet.  We didn't get the basic internet (I think we could have and be fine but DH wanted the next level up)  $60.00 pm

Hulu with Live TV is $44.95 a month total.  None of those additional fees.  They just have a flat fee.  We get live 70 channels + all Hulu movies and series.  Best of all, I haven't missed one football or basketball game that I wanted to see.   We'll see about baseball.

HTH

@Bridgegal, I have some questions if you don't mind. I would imagine you need to keep your internet from your provider, so you can watch Hulu with Live TV. Do all your sets have to be Smart TVs in order to be able to watch? Also I guess you can't record any of your shows ( I like DVRing shows rather than watching ON DEMAND). I am so tempted to do this but am afraid I don't know enough about it.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2

Hi.  Your TV's have to be either 'smart' or use a roku, apple tv, firestick etc.   We had an apple tv but too old generation  so we bought 2 roku's.   

You can record anything on live TV that Hulu broadcasts.    You get 100's of hours of cloud storage.   I use it to record a few HGTV shows that come on really late in case I've gone to bed.

Yes, you must have an internet connection to stream the content into your home.  

Anything else, feel free to ask and I'll answer if I can.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Jordan2

Hi.  Your TV's have to be either 'smart' or use a roku, apple tv, firestick etc.   We had an apple tv but too old generation  so we bought 2 roku's.   

You can record anything on live TV that Hulu broadcasts.    You get 100's of hours of cloud storage.   I use it to record a few HGTV shows that come on really late in case I've gone to bed.

Yes, you must have an internet connection to stream the content into your home.  

Anything else, feel free to ask and I'll answer if I can.

@Bridgegal, thank you so much, I will think about making the switch.

Esteemed Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

I lowered my bill permanently-  I got rid of cable over a year ago.  I'll never go back to watching TV- I'm DONE. 

First of all, I got really tired of their games concerning the price. I had lower-tier, & it was almost $100.00 per month! Yes, I did call a couple of times & spoke with a supervisor....they couldn't have cared less. 

Have you ever turned on the TV, & clicked through channel after channel, & there was nothing but garbage on? What about the amount of commercials? When I watched a 30 minute show, I think at least 40% of it were commercials.....for big pharma, mostly.

I stopped watching TV news a long time ago- what a waste of time. I only watch DVD's that I choose to buy, & it's perfect. I listen to music, & I love it. It feels so good to NOT watch television PROGRAMMING. I'll never go back to that- ever. 

I could never give up TV.  I can't imagine ever wanting to do that.

If I want to watch TV, I always have a lot to choose from (usually too many choices actually).  I DVR shows and movies so I always have a stockpile of things to watch that I want to watch - and I fast-forward thru commercials (or use that time to run and grab a snack!)  I never have the problem of clicking thru channels, unable to find anything I want to watch.  One man's garbage is another man's Must See TV, so I click past the things I don't like, but I always find interesting shows of all types.

I also would never be without TV news.  That's been a mainstay of my life since I was pretty young.  I don't consider it to be "a waste of time" at all.  Quite the opposite.

I watch DVD's too, and I also listen to music and do a lot of things that have nothing at all to do with television.  I don't like negotiating with my cable company, but I also don't find it so troublesome that I would just give up and cut TV out of my life.

Good for you if that works for you!  We're all different, and should do what makes us happy.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe it depends on who you speak with on the phone? I don't know, but that would make me mad if I knew for a fact they lowered others. I would tell them I wanted to cancel service and see what they said about that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My best guess is they gave up services that lowered their bill that much.  Maybe their tier of service is lower, they have slower internet, etc.

DH and I got our bill lowered but we also dropped down a tier which means we get fewer channels.  We also dropped our home phone.

However, after 1 year of that, the bill went up again.  It wasn't cable per se that went up.  They lowered the bundle (internet and cable) discount we were receiving, raised the price of the internet and raised the price of the monthly DVR rental charge.    

If you are going to threaten to cancel, you have to be willing to follow through.  DH and I threatened to cancel and Spectrum really didn't seem to care at all.  I was on the phone with them over an hour while we tried to work something out and the only way I could get my bill lower was to lose channels.  

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I was inspired by this thread to try and get Spectrum to lower my cable bill. I have called many times to get Spectrum to lower my bill to no avail. So I called this afternoon, spoke to someone in the billing department, she couldn't help me but she  transferred me to another department. I spoke to a very nice male customer service rep, told him what I was looking for, to my surprise he said let's see what we can do! Long story short I'm keeping all my same services, he was able to knock  $30 (for one year) off the bill ( this phone call did take a long time, he also had to get it okayed by someone higher up). I thanked him and told him how helpful and appreciated he was. I guess it doesn't hurt to try and also goes to show you all the previous reps I spoke to who said they couldn't do anything just didn't care.

Maybe it's bad form to quote yourself , but I wanted to give an update. The CS rep quoted me a price that was $30 less than I pay now, I thought great. I then get an email from Spectrum notifying me of the changes, my bill is only $15 less! I call Spectrum's CS and I speak with a woman. She doesn't understand how he could have quoted me that price ( like I'm lying which I'm not). She then goes on to explain ( not well) that because he changed some codes the internet I'm getting went up in price! She says she can't do anything about it, I can pull out one of my cable boxes to save $10 ( I don't want to). So on one hand they give, with the other hand they take. I guess I'll have to settle for the $15 instead of the $30 I was promised.

@Jordan2, this is exacty what happened to me the last time I called.  I was told by the CS rep they were going to get my bill lower and when my next bill came, it was higher.  I called back, spoke to someone else and told her exactly who I spoke to and when.  She said he was mistaken and there was no way they could give me the package for the price quoted.  Apparently he was giving me an old, outdated package price that they no longer offered.

We went back and forth for a little and I got frustrated, thanked her and hung up. 

Respected Contributor

I do this at least once a year or more with my cable carrier. It never fails that they reduce my bill by some amount of money every single time. let them know you are searching for the best price. I usually go in person. I cannot stand to be on hold for that long
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Respected Contributor

@happycat wrote:

Maybe it depends on who you speak with on the phone? I don't know, but that would make me mad if I knew for a fact they lowered others. I would tell them I wanted to cancel service and see what they said about that.

I told them that- they didn't care.  Smiley Frustrated

As I mentioned above, I had lower-tier cable....never had HBO, Showtime, etc. When I canceled & discontinued cable, my bill was nearly $100.00 per month- as in $1200.00 per year. I thought that was INSANE! 

Gee, I wonder what I can do with an extra $1200.00? Smiley Happy   I'll never pay to watch TV ever again. It feels really good to have it out of my life.