Honored Contributor

Re: Get rid of Daylight Savings Time......

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Nope Nope Nope!

I love daylight savings time. 

I think what a lot of people who don't live on traditional schedules or who are now retired forget is that those of us who live/lived a 9 to 5 kind of job cycle, appreciate the extra daylight at the end of the day when we need to get kids to outdoor sports, mow grass, tend gardens and just soak up some real daylight at the end of the routine work day schedule. It gives us a whole extra hour of light at the end of the day which is when we have/had the time to get out and get things done. 

It helps get things done, helps alleviate the SAD thing. 

It is no longer a 9 to 5 world and everyone needs to get things done. 

But if you raise kids, you live a 9 to 5, business runs those hours and most people are forced to be working, running to appointments, businesses etc. that aren't outdoors or for pleasure during those hours, so having the extra hour of daylight in the evening is allowing kids to play out longer, people to get to work outside longer, etc. People who work a second or third shift already have lots of daylight hours and like it or not, most of the US still runs on a day shift existence, even if it isn't as many as used to.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

When I was in Junior High School there was one year when it was decided they would keep Daylight Savings Time all year.  As the fall went on, we found ourselves outside at the bus stop in the dark (morning), riding to school in the dark, and starting the school day in the dark.  There was a big fuss about all of this, and it was the only year they ever did it where I live (CT.)

People tend to forget there is a whole lot of people who start their day before 9am.

And a lot who don't get home until 6 or 7 at night as well!

Trusted Contributor

I LOVE Daylight Savings Time.  We are outdoors people and it allows us to go for a run when we get home among other outdoor activities.   I hope they never change it.

Esteemed Contributor

I live on the east coast.  I always look forward to springing the clock forward this time of year.  I never have problems adjusting in the spring, but I guess I do need an adjustment period in the fall.  It usually just takes me a day or two.  

This has been an interesting thread.  I've never noticed my kitty having issues with DST and didn't realize it was that big of a deal to others.

Trusted Contributor

Well, I HATE it!  It takes me months to adjust and I hate summer and bright sunshine (I know; everybody calls me a vampire).  I go into mourning at this time of year.

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Nope Nope Nope!

I love daylight savings time. 

I think what a lot of people who don't live on traditional schedules or who are now retired forget is that those of us who live/lived a 9 to 5 kind of job cycle, appreciate the extra daylight at the end of the day when we need to get kids to outdoor sports, mow grass, tend gardens and just soak up some real daylight at the end of the routine work day schedule. It gives us a whole extra hour of light at the end of the day which is when we have/had the time to get out and get things done. 

It helps get things done, helps alleviate the SAD thing. 

It is no longer a 9 to 5 world and everyone needs to get things done. 

But if you raise kids, you live a 9 to 5, business runs those hours and most people are forced to be working, running to appointments, businesses etc. that aren't outdoors or for pleasure during those hours, so having the extra hour of daylight in the evening is allowing kids to play out longer, people to get to work outside longer, etc. People who work a second or third shift already have lots of daylight hours and like it or not, most of the US still runs on a day shift existence, even if it isn't as many as used to.

It is ridiculous to say people who work 2nd and and 3rd shift get plenty of daylight. Apparently you have never worked or known anyone who work those shifts.  People need to sleep sometime and maintain some routine. 

Not as many as you want to believe work the "traditional" 9 -5.  It is a 24/7 world and it is not always about what a dwindling number of people want.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

When I was in Junior High School there was one year when it was decided they would keep Daylight Savings Time all year.  As the fall went on, we found ourselves outside at the bus stop in the dark (morning), riding to school in the dark, and starting the school day in the dark.  There was a big fuss about all of this, and it was the only year they ever did it where I live (CT.)

People tend to forget there is a whole lot of people who start their day before 9am.

And a lot who don't get home until 6 or 7 at night as well!

It is a 24/7 world, people "get home" at all hours of the day.  So.e even work from home.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

I totally agree with you! I really dislike springing forward. 

Don't you like the extra daylight during the beautiful Spring-It's MY favorite day of the yearSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy 

Here in the part of the South where I live we like DST.

People who don’t have regular work hours, that’s fine, get up as you like, work in the yard when ever.

Many are not in total control of their time and like the afternoons and late evenings in the nicer weather to spend outside with family and friends, in the daylight.

I think most of us get the point that you don’t care for it.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Rumor our state wants to keep Daylight Savings Time.  Only problem... we live on the border of three states and DC.  I can only imagine what that would do to work schedules and make it hard to plan events. They better make it all or nothing.