Honored Contributor

@50Mickey  With the heat index it will be in the 100's.  When you speak with your daughter tell her to go to Target or a grocery store to stay cool.  Or, if she has a car with air conditioning.  I hope she has a fan.  She should look into one of those portable air conditioners that you can move around.  Take care and stay cool.  I was in the south and the 90's are steaming.  It would rain and the streets would steam.  I was in Biloxi, MS.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

We're under an excessive heat warning for the next couple of days.  

I feel so bad for people who do outdoor work and who don't have AC.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

They are predicting 90 today.  It's been high 80's to low 90's all of July.  I'm used to it by now.  I'm fortunate in that I work remotely from my home office so I don't have to go out during the day.  I stay inside in the air conditioning and go out in the evenings.  

Of course you do. 

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1   Thank you for your concern. Unfortunately she lives on the third floor with no elevator. When she first moved to Chicago 3 years ago I bought her a portable A/C. It seems to have stopped working. I was wondering if Home Depot would deliver one and carry it up the stairs.  She did purchase a large fan and that helps her sleep.  No car, she takes the CTA and Lift everywhere. But she is young and loves the city. I'm going up there 8/1 for a few days but we have a hotel room.  Oh yes you are right about the steam coming off the streets and roofs after an afternoon shower here. But like y'all are prepared for the cold we are prepared for the heat here. Not a fan of the heat or cold. Stay as cool as you can this weekend. I feel your pain.

Honored Contributor

The temperature atop Pike's Peak right now is 40' and later today it will only reach 60'.  I think I'll be heading for the mountains today! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Currently it is 9:05 pm CT and it is 97...with a 'feels like/heat index of 102.

sFun_hot.gif

I just went outside to feed the Robins their last feeding of the day and it is so oppressive. I emptied and filled the birdbath no less than 6-8 times today. A couple of the Cardinals just plopped in the water after I filled it this last time and just stayed in the water...not even trying to take a bath...just taking a cool soak...bless their hearts.

Honored Contributor

And get ready for your ELECTRIC BILL!!   I'm already clutching my pearls with anticipation.Smiley Indifferent

Regular Contributor

I was born in 1950 and I have always lived here in the southern area of California . I will tell NO ONE gets used to the hot humid weather . We adjust with AC"s , evaporate water coolers  . Our autos have AC , as do our homes and all stores . I always have my AC serviced in March . Many people wait and that is the problem for the AC service people. Get the AC serviced before it gets hot , humid and miserable  or you will pay the price .  There was a AC service person who recently died in an attic  . I know that we in California most have AC's  . We recently experienced 118 F and next week we have warnings of humidty  creeping in . Pay now or you will pay later with AC repairs . Take care of your neighbors , elderly and animals . 

Regular Contributor

Electricity is a luxury in my opinion . I will by pass making a purchase so that I can have my AC working and paying my electric bill  for myself and my pets .