Respected Contributor

Re: Georgia opening malls and outlets Friday

@millieshops 

Ha, nor have I.   I'm right there with you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bridgegal wrote:

@gidgetgh 

That's what I've been saying.   I have no intention after staying in my house for 6-8 weeks to get out among the masses at a mall or anywhere else.   Not going to blow this because of one mistake now.

@Bridgegal - yeah, I'm more of a "dip my toe in the water first" kind of person. I more than likely would start by letting our heating and air company in our house to do their spring maintenance agreement visit. They've called to schedule, and I said no, not yet. 

We also have an open air type mall near us.  Talbots, J Jill, Bath and Body Works, etc. are there. I can see myself starting there.  Going in Talbots to return something or whatever.  In and out, like I would at the grocery store. Across the street from that is a smallish gift shop that I like to shop in.  I can see myself going in there at some point. They are never crowded so it's not like going to a mall or a concert or anything. I can see me doing those things at first, baby steps, but not yet. 

Eating in a restaurant is not on my radar at all right now, though I would LOVE to go to our favorite Mexican restaurant, just up the street, for lunch. But I can't do that yet either. 

I have to see the Federal guideline of 14 straight days of drop before I will feel more comfortable "out in the wild". 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

This just doesn't sound like a good time. Shopping and going to restaurants are things I do as a leisure activity in good times. There has been no worry about infecting anyone with a virus or being infected with a virus in the past. If that's at stake, it takes all the fun and relaxation out of it.

In good times, say 2019, if someone invited me to Disney World, I would have said yeah let's go. It's a safe place and there would be nothing to worry about, besides overusing my credit card. If someone in 2019 had invited me to a run down broken down old carnival that looked like the rides could put me at risk I would say no. I don't find taking unnecessary risks to be a fun time. I wear my seatbelt in the car and maintain my brakes too.

So the big thrill of going into a Bath and Bodyworks in person is just not that amazing, because of the safety issues. If I want a candle or hand soap I can order online in much more pleasant surroundings and with zero concern or stress.

If I'm going to risk anything, it will be to see my friends in person again in a few months when it's a bit safer. People matter to me, things are dime a dozen.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh 

That sounds like a decent plan.

I think when the White House is doing tours again and visitors are allowed in hospitals, I'll be ready to stick my toe in.

Frequent Contributor

i don't think people really understand what this is.  This virus is capable of taking out the human race . . . a possible human extinction event.  In a month and a half to go from zero deaths to 60,000+ deaths is amazingly deadly.  We have no tools to fight it.  The only thing we know is how to slow it down by staying home away from others.  Now we take the brakes off of that one thing that  we know can control it.  In two weeks how many more will be dead? In a month? During summer?  The fall? By the end of the year?

Because it is an invisible killer, our only hope of defeating it lies in science to stop it, and mathematics to monitor its behavior.  Many people cannot deal with science and math, maybe there is a cognitive disconnect. They can't process the charts and graphs.  They cannot deal with quantitative data. They do not understand the concept of exponential growth. 

The choice of money over lives is a false one, but you have to be able to see that.  We can make as much money as we need to sustain us while science comes up with a way to keep it from eliminating us from the planet. We need to give ourselves 18 months for scientists to do their work to save the human race.  We need to buy time.

Super Contributor

@Firefly901 wrote:

i don't think people really understand what this is.  This virus is capable of taking out the human race . . . a possible human extinction event.  In a month and a half to go from zero deaths to 60,000+ deaths is amazingly deadly.  We have no tools to fight it.  The only thing we know is how to slow it down by staying home away from others.  Now we take the brakes off of that one thing that  we know can control it.  In two weeks how many more will be dead? In a month? During summer?  The fall? By the end of the year?

Because it is an invisible killer, our only hope of defeating it lies in science to stop it, and mathematics to monitor its behavior.  Many people cannot deal with science and math, maybe there is a cognitive disconnect. They can't process the charts and graphs.  They cannot deal with quantitative data. They do not understand the concept of exponential growth. 

The choice of money over lives is a false one, but you have to be able to see that.  We can make as much money as we need to sustain us while science comes up with a way to keep it from eliminating us from the planet. We need to give ourselves 18 months for scientists to do their work to save the human race.  We need to buy time.

The survival rate for this virus is 99% so I would not call it "capable of taking out the human race". I believe there are many more who had the virus and survived but are not counted.  For example, I just talked to my neighbor yesterday.  She's 63 and lives alone in a brand new house. I had thought she went to stay with her daughter but it turns out she battled Covid for 2 weeks.  She was sick but made a full recovery. She was never tested, just told to stay home, ride it out and call an ambulance if she couldn't breathe. Now she had the antibody test that came out positive. 

We are killing people daily not due to the virus but due to the shutdown of industries like medical and educational. We must balance our choices.

Frequent Contributor

Researchers have observed that there are different strands of the virus.  Then there is the issue of reinfection that is unknown, unclear, and unresolved by researchers.  Doctors have just begun to talk about the major injuries that many must deal with after people have the virus.  Injuries that may eventually take their lives.  We must realize the potential magnitude of this threat to human life on earth, that is why the vaccine is critical to our survival. And we need time to develop it.  Developing the vaccine and medicine to stop it from killing us is the hard part.

Money to sustain us until we develop it is the easy part.  Congress needs to simply decide to give it to people, print it (known as quantitative easing), and distribute it so everyone has money to survive while we wait for scientist to do their work.