Super Contributor

Re: Georgia opening malls and outlets Friday

We sheltered in order to "flatten the curve" not totally eliminate the risk. Not every state is like New York as far as cases and deaths.  It's time to cautiously and slowly reopen things.  Truth is, people shop for things related to entertainment and travel but with those industries shut down and people feeling financially uncertain I don't see big spending sprees happening anytime soon. Those that fear for their health will continue to stay home, those that want to venture out will do so.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Starting Monday, potential homebuyers can resume viewing homes in person and retailers can make sales with curbside pickup. Medical, dental and veterinary procedures can resume, following safety protocols.

On.Friday, retail businesses can open as long as they implement guidelines to ensure physical distancing, the orders say.

On May 4th, offices can reopen at 50% capacity of safety practices are ensured. The orders encourage businesses to rely on remote work when possible.

Still many facilities shut down over the past six weeks must stay shut, including gyms, spas and nightclubs.

Local governments also can relax rules under the new state orders--if they prove to state officials that COVID-19 infection rates have declined over 14 days.

Also personal service providers and elective medical providers, including hair salons, dental office, tattoo shops will be able to reopen with some precautions starting May 1, such as hair stylist wearing masks.

This is for Colorado.

Honored Contributor

Personally in California it will be a couple months I think.  BUT things will open up as needed.  Total freedom with everything back to pre virus business won't be until beginning of fall.  But some stores are open now.  Next is things like car services, surgeries, some school, medical.    Phase three.   Then   Phase 4 are concerts, arena fanfare  ....that will be mid fall, end of year, maybe after new years.

i think with everyone loosing jobs, loosing earnings, stocks, 401 k and the lot, people aren't going to be chomping at the bit to get spending   They just want to g to Beach, work, a park etc  I think those things will be around the corner in 2 months .?

I also think that the states that open up too soon and aren't doing sane things, like social distancing, masks etc. will have a relapse  .  All I can say is there is a huge difference between Ohio and Georgia leadership.  Ohio will open it more rules.  Georgia the governor just threw his hands up and left it to luck.  Only time will tell

Frequent Contributor

I have been voraciously absorbing the data daily and listening to our state's updates every few days on YouTube. I think it's really important to understand the data and the metrics being used to determine re-opening. For example, what I've learned is that the number of daily new cases means nothing...especially as states are really ramping up their testing. More testing = new positive & negative cases. Therefore, my state is focusing on the daily PERCENT testing Positive which needs to decrease over a 14-day period. Another interesting tidbit I learned is not to be particulary discouraged if there is a big spike in 1 day because it may be a result of an outbreak they identified somewhere where they tested a large number of cases which, intuitively, would be tested positive. There was one county that had an outbreak recently.

It seems to me that most Governers have been reviewing the data pretty closely in order to instruct their decisions. There may be some outliers, but I don't think that anyone wants a huge setback. From my personal standpoint, I would rather have the government begin to open things up (providing medical facilities have capacity) and I can make my own risk assessment based on my personal situation. Somebody has to "go first." I support those that do so in a measured way and I hope their outcome is SUCCESSFUL!

These are just my opinions but I find it easier to be pragmatic and focus on the data rather than my emotions about the situation.

Trusted Contributor

@shoekitty, yes, we had some good times.  I always laugh about some of the jokes we shared about the Fiesta warehouse.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

I don't think it's just people wanting to be defiant. I think much of it is when things just don't make sense. You can go on a lake in a canoe but not a boat with a motor? I can pull up to my car wash and use the vacuums and the self service car wash but I can't drive through the car wash? This is a car wash where you pay at a machine before pulling up. 

Frequent Contributor

The sad thing for people there and Americans all over the country is that unknowingly, this may be the last two weeks of their lives.

Honored Contributor

Last week when the beaches opened, they were mobbed.   When  you can't shop, go to a restaurant. play Putt Putt or golf, people will flock to what is open.  How smart is that?

In my  opinion, we either all stay closed or open everything

Even having stores shorten their hours is counterproductive.   Everyone jams in during the few hours opened.

I'm "vulnerable", I always avoid crowds.   Really hard to do in these circumstances.

Speaking of Black Friday, at the outlet where I shop, they practice common sense during the sale by only allowing a few people in the store at a time.   

@Laura14 wrote:

I have a feeling Black Friday is going to look tame in comparison to May 1, 2020.  😘 for anyone trying to get their spree in.  

Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

I don't think it's just people wanting to be defiant. I think much of it is when things just don't make sense. You can go on a lake in a canoe but not a boat with a motor? I can pull up to my car wash and use the vacuums and the self service car wash but I can't drive through the car wash? This is a car wash where you pay at a machine before pulling up. 

My car wash is the opposite, you are not allowed out of your car, but you can run it through the wash.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh 

That's what I've been saying.   I have no intention after staying in my house for 6-8 weeks to get out among the masses at a mall or anywhere else.   Not going to blow this because of one mistake now.