Honored Contributor

@plmokn wrote:

An estimated 80,000 Americans died last year of flu and its complications last winter, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This means it was the deadliest season in more than four decades -- since 1976

This is NOT CORRECT.  And yes I'm yelling because I'm tired of people posting this inaccurate information.

And Covid-19 IS NOT the flu.  To continue to compare this to the flu is burying your head in the sand or being ignorant to the facts. 

Esteemed Contributor

OP did refer to herself as an essential worker.  Maybe she should have said she works for an essential business.

I’m floored Georgia will open nail salons and tattoo shops right off the bat.  Very close contact there.  

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
In my state, despite the signs on the outside of open businesses about having to stay 6 ft apart, the employees are not following that. I'm seeing that at every store I go to. even the ones wiping down the carts want to give me one and they always get too close to me. I'll grab my own already-sanitized one thank you, don't hand me one! And so it continues throughout the store the employees not keeping their distance.☹

@Pearlee, I was in the grocery store Sunday and it was a nightmare.  First I went to Walmart which was a big mistake.  It is the closest to me and I didn't have a lot to get.  I ended up leaving my cart and walking out of the store.  

I headed to a Giant Eagle.  Less than half of the people inside had masks on.  Many of the employees had masks on but they were pulled down below their noses.  The aisles are marked because you are only supposed to go one way but people were going in the wrong direction, knew it and didn't care.  The woman behind me in line to pay was on top of me while I was using the card swiper.  Despite the fact that there are marks on the floor so you don't get closer than 6 feet and a sign that says not to put your groceries on the belt until you are told to do so by the cashier, she was piling everything up on the metal area before the belt.  She was nearly touching me.  Totally clueless.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Lucylu12 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Haircuts on Friday and restaurants on Monday.  Stay safe y'all!

I am beyond excited, made my hair appointment for next week!

@Lucylu12 

Ummm, let me see....vanity or my health/life (possibly), plus infecting other family members and the public????

That's a no-brainer for me, but that's just me.

Our governor said the most common question he gets asked is when are hair salons going to be open again.  He said they are in discussions to figure this out because you cannot social distance in a salon.  It is impossible no matter if there is only 1 stylist and 1 customer. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@plmokn wrote:

An estimated 80,000 Americans died last year of flu and its complications last winter, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This means it was the deadliest season in more than four decades -- since 1976

This is NOT CORRECT.  And yes I'm yelling because I'm tired of people posting this inaccurate information.

And Covid-19 IS NOT the flu.  To continue to compare this to the flu is burying your head in the sand or being ignorant to the facts. 

2019-2020 U.S. Flu Season: Preliminary Burden Estimates

CDC estimates* that, from October 1, 2019, through April 4, 2020, there have been:

39,000,000 – 56,000,000
flu illnesses

18,000,000 – 26,000,000
flu medical visits

410,000 – 740,000
flu hospitalizations

24,000 – 62,000
flu deaths

NOTE: The week of April 4 was the last week in-season influenza burden estimates will be provided for the 2019-2020 season.

*Because influenza surveillance does not capture all cases of flu that occur in the U.S., CDC provides these estimated ranges to better reflect the larger burden of influenza. These estimates are calculated based on CDC’s weekly influenza surveillance data and are preliminary.

**Influenza testing across the United States may be higher than normal at this time of year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. These estimates may partly reflect increases in testing in recent weeks and may be adjusted downward once the season is complete and final data for the 2019/20 season are available.

Valued Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@plmokn wrote:

@Lipstickdiva 

Correct or not, the dead are just as dead no matter the # of Americans who died from the flu. I don't think @NoName was comparing the diseases.

Honored Contributor

@BeautyLver wrote:

I am well aware of the difference  between the two.  The person I was referring to is deemed essential and like you not on the front lines.  Yet was inferring she was.

I guess we read things differently because I don't get that from her posts.  

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

OP did refer to herself as an essential worker.  Maybe she should have said she works for an essential business.

I’m floored Georgia will open nail salons and tattoo shops right off the bat.  Very close contact there.  

@Snoopp, she IS an essential employee, just like I am because I work for an essential business.   

Honored Contributor

@masque wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@plmokn wrote:

@Lipstickdiva 

Correct or not, the dead are just as dead no matter the # of Americans who died from the flu. I don't think @NoName was comparing the diseases.

@masque, of course it matters. And of course she was comparing the flu to Covid or why post flu deaths (inaccurate)?  Why post about the flu at all?     

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@masque wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@plmokn wrote:

@Lipstickdiva 

@masque, of course it matters. And of course she was comparing the flu to Covid or why post flu deaths (inaccurate)?  Why post about the flu at all?     

@Lipstickdiva :  I believe her numbers are correct for the flu.  Why don't you believe that?