Honored Contributor

Re: Georgia Haircut guidelines

My state is starting a SLOW reopening May 1....I really need a hair cut but I think the stylyst may wait until Phase 2 before booking appointments, which is fine.

Our area is very low in Covid cases.

Esteemed Contributor

Shout-out to @NAES1 and others,

Reading some responses...well, surreal.  All I can think of is the title “The Year Of Magical Thinking.”  But wait, that book was written.  And it was about dealing with death, loss.

This drives me crazy on two levels.  First, that there are people “who don’t get the message.”  What does it take?  Where do they get their information?  Or do they process the risk?  

Second, every decision we make re virus control affects us.  But it affects other innocent people - this is a pandemic.  this will be a constant battle.  We are all responsible.

The vast majority of people in my state have observed strict guidelines.  And yet our death count is roughly 1,500 for our tiny state.  So when a politician says the death count “could go up to 60,” that person is referring to 60,000 people who died.  People who loved and are loved and missed.  And, even in this cold calculation, the count will be likely so, so much more.

Think about it.  

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I'm hoping my state sticks to their original plan to open Apr 30. Because I have a hair appt May 2, yay! Remember ladies, to open up your tipping hand and tip generously! 

In the same state and from what I heard on the news....not looking good for salons to open up that soon.  I have my appt on May 6th and am thinking it will still be shutdown.  

I hope I am wrong...supposed to hear more news on it Friday.

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

Too many SHOULDs and not enough MUSTs, WILLs, SHALLs, REQUIREDs for me to even consider entering a salon/shop.

That was my reaction too.  Way too many regulations that are "should consider".  For sure, those are not going to happen in many salons.  All of it is much too wide open with far too much leeway.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
Very naive rules. "Required to consider"? Consider is not mandatory. And people are selfish so customers who want salon services are not going to fess up to any of those questions they'll be asked. The guidelines are ridiculous.

I agree.  People know they'll be denied entrance if they're asked those questions.  Haven't we all heard those questions 1000 times by now?  It's a no-brainer that the only way to get in is to give the "right" answers.  Anyone responsible enough to answer honestly likely would know enough to stay home and not even get that far.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Marp wrote:

Too many SHOULDs and not enough MUSTs, WILLs, SHALLs, REQUIREDs for me to even consider entering a salon/shop.

That was my reaction too.  Way too many regulations that are "should consider".  For sure, those are not going to happen in many salons.  All of it is much too wide open with far too much leeway.  

@NYC Susan, all the "shoulds" is a perfect example of a person trying to reconcile his or her preference for limited or small government with the fact that we must have government restrictions. So one sits on the fence.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I colored my hair myself a few days ago. It turned out fine. I have short hair and considered letting it grow. Here's my chance. You couldn't pay me to go to a beauty salon where it'd be impossible to maintain medical guidelines. My grandson's wedding reception has been postponed to late September. If we're all fortunate enough and safe enough to go to The Chesepeake to celebrate, I'll worry about my hair then. Meanwhile, I shall listen to the doctors and the researchers. I'll just forego bowling and tattos for now.

Esteemed Contributor

There's alot of "should be's" in that guidline.  Should be and will be are two VERY different things.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

https://www.ajc.com/news/lines-start-early-for-haircuts-georgia-begins-open/jWJvWglc5N7RlQt1Z6oDTN/

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Should? Yeah, ok.

It's a hard pass for me.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu