Honored Contributor

Re: George Segal Has Died at 87

[ Edited ]

I think he made his debut in The New Interns circa 1964. He also starred in a short lived series on TV Land , Jessica Walter played his wife, about life in an over 55 FL community, and they had a 35 year old son who lived with them. It was called Retired at 35. Wonderful and very versatile actor. Other movies from early on come to mind, Bye Bye Braverman, Blume in Love and Hot Rock. I think Touch of Class was a standout. 

Honored Contributor

"Today we lost a legend," The Goldbergs creator Adam F. Goldberg tweeted alongside a collage of images featuring Segal. "It was a true honor being a small part of George Segal's amazing legacy. By pure fate, I ended up casting the perfect person to play Pops. Just like my grandfather, George was a kid at heart with a magical spark. I think these memories say it all..."

Today we lost a legend. It was a true honor being a small part of George Segal’s amazing legacy. By pure fate, I ended up casting the perfect person to play Pops. Just like my grandfather, George was a kid at heart with a magical spark. I think these memories say it all... pic.twitter.com/D1aNZuT20e

— Adam F. Goldberg (@adamfgoldberg) March 24, 2021
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just posted last week how horrible I thought the Virgina Woolf movie was.  But that wasn't Segal's fault, it was just a horrible storyline/plot/whatever.

That said, of all 4 actors in the movie, I think Segal's acting was the best.  He was handsome.  I barely recognized him.  It's the only movie I've ever seen him in.  Not a fan of Goldbergs...

ETA:  Just read that all four were nominated for an Academy award.  Taylor won as did Sandy Dennis (banging head against wall----why?)

Trusted Contributor

Awwwwwww! I loved him! One of my favorite movies is Carbon Copy" co-starring a young Denzel Washington as the son he didn't know he had. Wonderful, poignant, funny movie. They're dropping like flies!

Trusted Contributor

D504D033-FB3F-4A1F-AB44-83523728CB3F.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Matt vs. the Academy: 1973 - A Touch of Class

A Touch of Class

King Rat (1965)

King Rat

The St. Valentine's Day Massacre Blu-ray review | Cine Outsider

The St. Valentine's Day Massacre

NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY by William Goldman | Tipping My Fedora

No Way to Treat a Lady

Comedy or drama, he was always fun to watch.

Godspeed.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I just posted last week how horrible I thought the Virgina Woolf movie was.  But that wasn't Segal's fault, it was just a horrible storyline/plot/whatever.

That said, of all 4 actors in the movie, I think Segal's acting was the best.  He was handsome.  I barely recognized him.  It's the only movie I've ever seen him in.  Not a fan of Goldbergs...

ETA:  Just read that all four were nominated for an Academy award.  Taylor won as did Sandy Dennis (banging head against wall----why?)

@Lucky Charm  I really don't like the Virginia Wolff film. If I wanted to see depressing bickering for two hours I'd spend it with relatives and they'd make the popcorn.

Esteemed Contributor

@Zaimee wrote:

Where's Poppa? With Ruth Gordon. So funny.

@ZaimeeOMG Where's Poppa was so funny! I remember having to run to the ladies room FAST when I watched him and Ruth Gordon together.

I also enjoyed him on The Goldbergs. May he rest in peace. He's going to be missed.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@DJP wrote:

@gertrudecloset   The Owl and the Pussycat. Loved that movie. 

That is one of my favorite movies. I'm from NY (Brooklyn) and a fan of Barbra. George was great in that pic.

Honored Contributor

Great actor. I remember him most from playing the banjo on the Johnny Carson Tonight Show. More recently Gramps on the Goldbergs, kinda reminded me of myself at times.

Condolences to all who loved him. He will be missed by many.  RIP

hckynut 

hckynut(john)