Trusted Contributor

Re: Geoffrey Zakarian Cast Iron

Hello @chickenbutt ,

I'm just being a but-in-ski here but your response to this post is excellent. Very helpful IMO and makes me not regret the overpriced purchase of a GZ pan that I've not used yet. I agree, it is so very heavy...

dee

Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt wrote:

ITA about buying Lodge, if one wants the regular, nekkid, cast iron.  It's also made in the US (just the plain cast iron) and of great quality.

For enamelled cast iron, I wouldn't buy any of the ones pushed by cooks and chefs from tv because they are all made in China and this is one thing that just is not made nearly as well there.  I suspect the same factory makes them all because they seem to equally chip and are of poor quality.  Don't even get me started on the Paula Deen ones that had even worse (scary) problems.  

For enameled, I buy LeCreuset.  Can't beat it.

I like GZ fine, but it always pays to pay attention to what you're purchasing. 

Trusted Contributor

@January121 ,

LOL. I just had the same response to @chickenbutt .

Kindred spirits.

As a favor to we Q members who now have a stake in the company with all of our purchases Woman Frustrated be allowed a one time "buy back day". This would be described as a "regret my purchase, slip up error day" to return only one thing I've received, changed my mind about, didn't get to returning, never used, etc, as long as the item is still being sold. Wishful thinking, eh?

@January121 wrote:

OH DARN .... I have his cast iron pan that was a TSV a few months ago.... I haven’t used it yet & if everything sticks I guess I’ll throw it in the garbage 😪

Enjoy your pan.

dee

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Grandmapetes   The only "Holy Grail" of cast iron pans are the ones passed down from one generation to another as well as being properly seasoned.

If flea markets are opened in your area, I would suggest you get a couple from there.  Makes no sense spending a lot of $$$$ for cast iron pans.

Lodge cast irons you can get from Tar-jé (Taraget), Walmart, Amazon & believe it or not, from your local Dollar Store.

I've read that people often don't properly season those pans; there's a procedure to doing so, but can't recall what it is. 

I wouldn't bother because those pans are so darn heavy .... but they sure last a long time if properly cared for.     

Trusted Contributor

I never buy anything from an HGTV chef/cook - not even Curtis Stone or The Pioneer Woman. I see Anne Burrell is now selling her cookware on HSN. It's no secret that the 'big money' is in cookware, so they're all jumping on that bandwagon. 

IMO, you can't beat All Clad, Le Creuset, Lodge cast iron, even the Green Pans which you can purchase at Costco. With the exception of the Green Pans, the others are a once-buy and they're good for life. 

Trusted Contributor

@January121  I'm probably the only one, but I have his 13 x 9 cast iron pan and absolutely love it.  This pan makes the best biscuits and rolls, no sticking.

Esteemed Contributor

@January121 wrote:

@CAcableGirl wrote:

@January121  Maybe you can return it during this "holiday" return period.  

@CAcableGirl  ..... Thanks ....I probably can but, I washed it & threw out the box & receipt .... besides I would have to bring it to the Post Office & because of the virus I won’t go there .... I’ll use it once so I won’t feel so bad & then throw it away..... thanks again 😉

@January121 Why in the world would you throw away a perfectly good pan?  Even the OP said it worked great for awhle.  At the very least, donate it.  I have his smallest one.  I don't use it that often, but so far I have had no problems with it.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac

ITA. Vintage cast iron is definitely the way to go.

Vintage cast iron isn't as heavy as what they make today. 

So, if you want a great skillet that'll last forevah, get thee to a flea market! Smiley Very Happy

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

Thread should be in 'KITCHEN' area get more answers, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@January121 wrote:

@CAcableGirl wrote:

@January121  Maybe you can return it during this "holiday" return period.  

@CAcableGirl  ..... Thanks ....I probably can but, I washed it & threw out the box & receipt .... besides I would have to bring it to the Post Office & because of the virus I won’t go there .... I’ll use it once so I won’t feel so bad & then throw it away..... thanks again 😉

@January121 Why in the world would you throw away a perfectly good pan?  Even the OP said it worked great for awhle.  At the very least, donate it.  I have his smallest one.  I don't use it that often, but so far I have had no problems with it.  

@Icegoddess  Thanks 

Esteemed Contributor

@hayseed0 wrote:

@January121  I'm probably the only one, but I have his 13 x 9 cast iron pan and absolutely love it.  This pan makes the best biscuits and rolls, no sticking.

@hayseed0  ... Thanks for posting this .... I’ll give it a try & hopefully I won’t have any problems 😃