Trusted Contributor

I see that this Sunday will be an entire show featuring his products. I purchased his Cast Iron pans when they were first introduced and I have to say they are extremely disappointing. They worked great, at first, but now, everything I cook in them sticks. No amount of oil helps at all. The biggest problem is right in the center of the pans, directly above the logo on the bottom of the pan. Absolutely everything sticks. I was really disappointed. I had hoped they would be the holy grail of Cast Iron.☹️

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Geoffrey Zakarian Cast Iron

@Grandmapetes I'm really not surprised. I've seen him for years on Chopped and The Kitchen and I think he is sooo full of himself. Not surprised that his "stuff" is, IMO, way over priced and nothing special. I personally find him to be a big blowhard. But that's just me!

Respected Contributor

@Grandmapetes wrote:

I see that this Sunday will be an entire show featuring his products. I purchased his Cast Iron pans when they were first introduced and I have to say they are extremely disappointing. They worked great, at first, but now, everything I cook in them sticks. No amount of oil helps at all. The biggest problem is right in the center of the pans, directly above the logo on the bottom of the pan. Absolutely everything sticks. I was really disappointed. I had hoped they would be the holy grail of Cast Iron.☹️

Buy Lodge cast iron .  Nothing better.

Esteemed Contributor

My 2 pc set is in garage waiting for junk truck.  Sticking hasn't been my issue (yet) but so heavy - a chore to put in cupboard and lift out - in - out....and it gets so hot my poor little burger gets fried fast and over-cooked.  Not worth my time.

He's slapping his name on everything he can think of.  Like another vendor....hmmm

Honored Contributor

@Grandmapetes   The only "Holy Grail" of cast iron pans are the ones passed down from one generation to another as well as being properly seasoned.

If flea markets are opened in your area, I would suggest you get a couple from there.  Makes no sense spending a lot of $$$$ for cast iron pans.

Lodge cast irons you can get from Tar-jé (Taraget), Walmart, Amazon & believe it or not, from your local Dollar Store.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

ITA about buying Lodge, if one wants the regular, nekkid, cast iron.  It's also made in the US (just the plain cast iron) and of great quality.

For enamelled cast iron, I wouldn't buy any of the ones pushed by cooks and chefs from tv because they are all made in China and this is one thing that just is not made nearly as well there.  I suspect the same factory makes them all because they seem to equally chip and are of poor quality.  Don't even get me started on the Paula Deen ones that had even worse (scary) problems.  

For enameled, I buy LeCreuset.  Can't beat it.

I like GZ fine, but it always pays to pay attention to what you're purchasing. 

Trusted Contributor

An entire show dedicated to GZ's products surprises me as many of his items are on clearance.  JMO.

Esteemed Contributor

OH DARN .... I have his cast iron pan that was a TSV a few months ago.... I haven’t used it yet & if everything sticks I guess I’ll throw it in the garbage 😪

Respected Contributor

@January121  Maybe you can return it during this "holiday" return period.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

@CAcableGirl wrote:

@January121  Maybe you can return it during this "holiday" return period.  

@CAcableGirl  ..... Thanks ....I probably can but, I washed it & threw out the box & receipt .... besides I would have to bring it to the Post Office & because of the virus I won’t go there .... I’ll use it once so I won’t feel so bad & then throw it away..... thanks again 😉