Regular Contributor

Re: Geoffrey Zakarian Cast Iron

having many cast iron I too was about to buy Geoffrey dutch oven and stopped  just short of pushing the button when I read 1 year warrenty when Lodge is lifetime......so Lodge I bought.but have to wait for shipping in March which is fine.....Most of mine came from family and flea market. Lodge is the best.....

Honored Contributor

I purchased GZ's cast iron non-stick the first time he had it on QVC.  It was great for the first few times I used it. 

Then it developed a discolored hot spot in the center.  Then the coating started popping off in the middle of cooking.  Ruined an entire meal, as I had to throw everything in the garbage (Hey Mom, is that a lot of black pepper?  No, it's GZ non-stick!).

I cannot remember if it was within the 30 days, but I do know I got my full refund back after speaking to a customer service rep and describing how defective it was.  Sent that thing right back. I will not try another.

I am very happy with my Le Creuset that I purchased a year ago.  I use it every day and still looks like new.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt LeCreuset is indeed, very good.  

Contributor

I bought his non stick cast iron pan because my Circulon started sticking terribly. 
GZ worked for about 2 weeks, now it's sticking too!

Scrambled eggs makes a mess. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My husband bought me some Lodge Cast Iron pieces and they are wonderful...cook the best steaks I have tasted if anyone is looking for a good brand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Grandmapetes   The only "Holy Grail" of cast iron pans are the ones passed down from one generation to another as well as being properly seasoned.

If flea markets are opened in your area, I would suggest you get a couple from there.  Makes no sense spending a lot of $$$$ for cast iron pans.

Lodge cast irons you can get from Tar-jé (Taraget), Walmart, Amazon & believe it or not, from your local Dollar Store.

I've read that people often don't properly season those pans; there's a procedure to doing so, but can't recall what it is. 

I wouldn't bother because those pans are so darn heavy .... but they sure last a long time if properly cared for.     

Oil the top, bottom, sides, interior pan...wipe any excess oil off each time with a paper towel. Cook top side down on 350-400 degrees...repeat 3x total of 1 hour each time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**