Respected Contributor

Re: Gentlemen...Do you like old fashioned manners?

@SaRina wrote:

Giving up a seat... for a doctor?  Huh?

I guess she needs to know her place? :-/

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

I love old fashioned manners. I was brought up that way and taught my children manners. I do not, however, expect men to stand up when I enter a room or give up their seat on the train for me. Just holding the door for me is so nice and I always thank them. I have often seen women not saying thank you..I think thanking someone is about just having manners. Having grace in life adds a lot to the experience of living...

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet  I'm with you! I love a gentleman with manners. Heart

Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

What bothers me is when someone ahead of me by two or three seconds lets the door go in my face. 

When that happens to me, I make sure they hear me say "thank you."  Sometimes they apologize and sometimes I get a dirty look.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@panda1234 wrote:

I work in a nursing home and sit at the nurses station most of the day. There is an extra chair there for who ever comes and goes and needs to sit and do work. Well, there is a 20 something CNA who if sitting there, will never give up the chair to a doctor, director of a department, nurse or anyone above her. She makes them stand to do their paperwork, no respect. I had to say something to her, and she told me we are all adults and if they wanted to sit they needed to speak up.

@panda1234

So the chair is for whomever comes by and needs to do work ......   but you think it should be by "rank"?   Anyone else comes by, she needs to get up?    

I've never worked in a nursing home so perhaps I'm missing something here, but it sounds like the chair is for whomever needs it, and not by position.   Maybe they need a couple more chairs.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

Giving up a seat... for a doctor?  Huh?

I know...I can't wrap my head around that one either. 

@chrystaltree    @SaRina

Me, either.    Well, I seem to recall that about a hundred years ago doctors were considered gods and nurses were expected to jump and attend to their every whim.   Maybe it's that mindset?

Honored Contributor

WHO CARES WHAT GENTLEMEN LIKE OR DO NOT LIKE?  I do not need a man to open a door or anything. Is is really  manners or dumbing down the female person?  Some of these rules  deemed to be proper, polite or well-bred social behavior  are just nothing more than  putting women in THEIR  PLACE. 

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

I work in a nursing home and sit at the nurses station most of the day. There is an extra chair there for who ever comes and goes and needs to sit and do work. Well, there is a 20 something CNA who if sitting there, will never give up the chair to a doctor, director of a department, nurse or anyone above her. She makes them stand to do their paperwork, no respect. I had to say something to her, and she told me we are all adults and if they wanted to sit they needed to speak up.

Sadly, that seems to be the mindset/attitude of some of today's young people. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my life, manners never became "old-fashioned", I apply them equally to all genders whenever possible.  Consideration for others' well-being is always in style!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Patriot3 wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

Sadly, that seems to be the mindset/attitude of some of today's young people. 

I disagree I think today's youth are as considerate as the youth of any generation that shows them mutual respect as fellow humans. Not demeaning them by an antiquated caste system that has no place in society. Take off the pink shades and realize that today's youth are more tolerant and caring regardless of what station you are in life or any other means of judging people. Todays youth are the ones who only look to see who needs help and expect nothing in return. Unlike some of the ones who went  before them and apparently thought entitlement came with what job you hold.