Honored Contributor

Sorry

I didn't realize anything was wrong with that link, but thanks for editing and leaving the comments.

Honored Contributor

I'm disappointed to learn this LGBT history with the Salvation Army, as LGBT rights are very important to me.

As I'm a completely non-religious person, I don't give to religious charities, with the exception of the SA. The reason I give to them is that I've always known and seen of the good they do (not just in disasters, but with housing, domestic abuse, etc), since childhood. Both my grandmother and my mother (both completely non-religious) also supported them as an organization.

There was a fire in the apt building where I lived. Many of us lost everything but the literal clothes on our backs. We were helped, both immediately and in the weeks that followed, with money and all sorts of vouchers for basic furniture and household necessities, by both the Red Cross and the SA equally. I'll never forget it; they cared. They were helpful and sympathetic.

In doing some reading, it appears that, currently at least, the SA's stance is largely geared towards their own employees and volunteers. I might not like that, but since they are a religious organization I can understand it. I do believe them, however, when they say they serve all who need their help, no questions asked. 

So yeah, I'm disappointed and can wish it were otherwise, but I still feel they're worth supporting.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I think the SA has changed a lot.  They do hire people without conditions and serve all regardless of race, ethnicity, orientation, etc.

Pretty sure,anyway.   I do remember something about the issue before and I thought they clarified their stance.

Hopefully, anyway.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde

I don't want to see SA punished or anything like that, it's just my choice to support others instead.  I'm probably more aware of the issues having grown up reading about them in the local papers and seeing interviews because of where I live.

I'm sorry to hear you were in a fire.  My mother was, also, as a child and she never really got over it,  She was always vigilant about making sure my father's cigarettes were out, the stove was off, etc.  It was such an ingrained ritual before we left the house or went to bed, I still do it as a matter of fact.

Esteemed Contributor

I would like to donate but at the same time I really want to feel that 100% is being handed over and not somehow misdirected.  I guess I watch too many GREED shows on the air.  

Mr. Pillow.. what  a great contribution... actually something everyone will need.  

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry to the OP that this went really off the rails.  I'm at fault, too, and will let this go.

The pillows are a great donation and thank you for letting us know.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde

I don't want to see SA punished or anything like that, it's just my choice to support others instead.  I'm probably more aware of the issues having grown up reading about them in the local papers and seeing interviews because of where I live.

I'm sorry to hear you were in a fire.  My mother was, also, as a child and she never really got over it,  She was always vigilant about making sure my father's cigarettes were out, the stove was off, etc.  It was such an ingrained ritual before we left the house or went to bed, I still do it as a matter of fact.

@Noel7, I'm not surprised you've heard more about it, living in SF. I don't recall hearing any of it in SoCal. If I'd been hearing about it for many years it would stop me in my tracks too.

My fire was maybe 25 years ago...? Lost all the memorabilia, family treasures, photos, etc. as well as the more replaceable "stuff." Thought I'd lost my kitty, but they found him a week later - hungry and thirsty but ok. He smelled like smoke for many days. I called him "BBQ kitty" after that. To this day, I literally cringe when I smell smoke for any reason and it's not where we have started our own fireplace.

I believe I had PTSD for years after that. The event still colors my life thinking.

Valued Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I would like to donate but at the same time I really want to feel that 100% is being handed over and not somehow misdirected.  I guess I watch too many GREED shows on the air.  

Mr. Pillow.. what  a great contribution... actually something everyone will need.  

So true.  These exhausted displaced Texans will sleep so much better in a dry place with a blanket and a nice pillow.  I saw a news story about a mattress shop and a furniture store that have opened their doors to let people relax and sleep on the merchandise.  That is really so nice because they can't sell them after that.  The pictures showed cute little kids stretching out on the sofas and mattresses.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde

I understand why you would have PTSD.  When I was about 12 or 14, I was in the kitchen with my mother.  She was making something in the oven and all of a sudden, flames started coming out.  She froze in place.

She always kept a box of baking soda nearby and schooled me in using it to put out a fire on the stove, so I grabbed it, stood back and opened the oven and easily put out the fire.  No big deal for me but she was shaking.

She had been in a school fire as a child, they had to run for their lives, a few didn't get out.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I think everyone wants that. That's why the largest charities, which have a lot more public media attention and oversight (good or bad), are in may ways 'safest.' I don't think there's probably ever been a charity that was/is perfect in all respects as far as financial responsibility with every penny.