Honored Contributor

Just want to say that I wasn't involved with rescue - I was involved with the evacuees in San Antonio.  Let me tell you-when those buses rolled up it was all one can do not to start crying.

People who have never had to shelter on a small narrow cot or wait to use facilities or depend upon others as to what time they can eat or see the look fear in the eyes of a person who doesn't know what will happen let alone wonder about lost family and pets-well, I suggest you get a ticket and fly your self-righteous tookas down to Texas and help out.

Instead of knocking down MyPillow, of all things. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Just want to say that I wasn't involved with rescue - I was involved with the evacuees in San Antonio.  Let me tell you-when those buses rolled up it was all one can do not to start crying.

People who have never had to shelter on a small narrow cot or wait to use facilities or depend upon others as to what time they can eat or see the look fear in the eyes of a person who doesn't know what will happen let alone wonder about lost family and pets-well, I suggest you get a ticket and fly your self-righteous tookas down to Texas and help out.

I have donated money to various animal charities to help the pets.

What are you doing to help the Harvy victims?

Are you going down to pitch in and help?

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I donated to the Red Cross and I personally think they do a lot of good.   They have the experience and resources to get things in place.  They also have a lot of volunteers to call on.  My grandmother was a Red Cross volunteer for well over 50 years  starting with rolling bandages in World War 1.  My mother volunteered for years at their blood bank.  They have paid employees and volunteers.  You can also designate where you want your money to go.  

There are many worthy charities, and to each their own - but there are reasons that the Red Cross is THE #1 recommended organization to give to in a disaster.

..Disaster is their business. They deal with it constantly and have done for more than a century. They have the buying power, resources and connections to get what they need the fastest.

...They are the organization that every large organization trusts, including Federal, state and local govts.

...They may not have an A+ charity rating based on paper criteria, but they are by far the largest organization doing disaster relief, and the sheer size of the organization means it costs a certain amount to make it run.

...I doubt that the govt and every large public entity, including the media, would have continuously supported the Red Cross if they were an inefficient scam organization.

When I donate to the Red Cross I know they will have the best plans for my money's use strictly by experience.

I don't always donate to the RC over other organizations, or "only" to the RC, but for quick and easy, and trustworthy, it's pretty hard to do better on the scale they typically have to deal with.

@Moonchilde You hit the nail on the head.   While many people mean well with sending toothbrushes and pillows, I think people who lose everything much rather appreciate things that the Red Cross provides like pop up pharmacies, so that they can get their medications.  I remember during Katrina how people in NOLA were pleading for others to stop sending deodorant and toothbrush-type care packages, because what they really needed were funds to rebuild their homes.  You don't really care what your breath or underarms smell like when you're standing up to your waist in filthy water with your entire life's possessions in a garbage bag slung over your shoulder.  

Valued Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

I volunteered for the Red Cross when I was in college.  They took a few hits around that time because they took some of the money specified for certain disasters and put it in their general fund.  The entire donated amount never went to the named receiver.

Bad publicity, they made some quick changes which I assume they still hold to.  We still give to them.  I give to local charities rather than the Salvation Army because of their long time issues about LGBT people.

@Noel7  I've read that the Salvation Army gives a high percentage of its donations to the people it helps.  They are a great organization, although I can see how you might want to add other groups to your giving as well for the reasons you stated.  I always put money in the Salvation Army's kettles during the holidays.

Honored Contributor

Re: Generous MyPillow

[ Edited ]

@OfCourse wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I volunteered for the Red Cross when I was in college.  They took a few hits around that time because they took some of the money specified for certain disasters and put it in their general fund.  The entire donated amount never went to the named receiver.

Bad publicity, they made some quick changes which I assume they still hold to.  We still give to them.  I give to local charities rather than the Salvation Army because of their long time issues about LGBT people.

@Noel7  I've read that the Salvation Army gives a high percentage of its donations to the people it helps.  They are a great organization, although I can see how you might want to add other groups to your giving as well for the reasons you stated.  I always put money in the Salvation Army's kettles during the holidays.

Hi again @OfCourse 

I live in San Francisco where there has been a long public dispute with the Salvation Army's anti-gay stand.  It's a matter of principle for me, but I'm not against others supporting the group.

I have my favorite local groups that are small but well known for providing shelter and food.    I just prefer those groups who also get to know the people they feed and shelte.

****edited to remove link*****

Valued Contributor

@Noel7  Thank you for that info.  As someone who was raised Catholic, I understand where they're coming from even if I don't share their concerns.  I've read articles about how the Salvation Army has taken people off the street and helped them turn their lives around.  Certainly, other organizations that also do this without an ideological bent are good candidates for donations.  I personally believe that all people should be free to live their lives as they choose but respect people who for religious reasons aren't quite on board with that.

Honored Contributor

@OfCourse wrote:

@Noel7  Thank you for that info.  As someone who was raised Catholic, I understand where they're coming from even if I don't share their concerns.  I've read articles about how the Salvation Army has taken people off the street and helped them turn their lives around.  Certainly, other organizations that also do this without an ideological bent are good candidates for donations.  I personally believe that all people should be free to live their lives as they choose but respect people who for religious reasons aren't quite on board with that.

@OfCourse

I also come from a religious background, Protestant, six generations of ministers that we know of.  I am glad that my denomination is pretty liberal in this area, but I do understand those who take a literal interpretation.

I don't disrespect their religious beliefs, but I cannot respect their behavior toward certain people.  I realize not everyone of good faith would agree with me.

It's nice being able to have a civil talk with you Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2  It's Harvey.   Haarrrveee.

Not Harvy.

What are DH and I doing?  More than picking on a pillow. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2

Your comments are degrading.  Helping others is not a contest, nor should it be something to challenge others with.

Doing so is just downright disgusting, imo.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is baiting