Esteemed Contributor

Re: Generally speaking, how many visits do you get from others?

Years ago, my husband and I were invited to a multitude of holiday parties. Now we're retired and all our friends have moved away. This is the first year that we will not be going to any parties. We have also postponed until March our visit south to our Florida friends and family. I truly don't mind. My husband and I have been through so much stress that a quiet holiday is quite welcome.

Honored Contributor

None. I don't even give my friends my address so that no one will "pop in" unexpectedly, because that is literally my nightmare. When I want to see my friends, I contact them and we go out somewhere.

Respected Contributor

Zero.

There was a squirrel trying to visit once but when he looked inside he changed his mind.Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

Zero.

There was a squirrel trying to visit once but when he looked inside he changed his mind.Smiley Very Happy

@Pqfan, that's just nuts! 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

I never liked people just dropping in unannounced!! I prefer them to call first.Of course if a neighbor needs help I'm right there!! I believe that a persons personal space & privacy should be respected!! You're not always in the mood for company!!

I had a friend years ago who used to show up unannounced.She would walk in & say "how about a cup of coffee & some lunch"!!. After about 3 times I told her that she needed to call first!! She got annoyed & our friendship soured.

Honored Contributor

I don't get solicitors, haven't had anyone come to my door to try to sell me stuff in years.  I work from home most days and everyone knows I'm home but my family and friends and the neighbors I am close to are all out working during the days.  The retired people I know, know that I'm working.  So, none of them would ever come by to visit.  So, during the daytime, the only visitor I get is a neighbor who I started walking with a couple of times a week.  She'll ring the bell to see if I want to go, which I don't even understand.  I don't know why she doesn't just call me before she leaves her house.  So...no vistors and it would be the same if I was older and retired.  Which actually, is something that concerns me about retiring.  Granted, retirement is 10 or 12 years away for me; I'm only 56 but it's something to think about and plan for when we do retire.  I don't think I'll sit back just accept that my life will get smaller and smaller as I age.  My parents stayed active and involved and had full busy loves until they passed in their 80's.  My husband's parents are in their late 70's now and they are rarely home, sometimes we think they are too social and on the go too much.  When it comes to retirement, those are our role models.  Also, I see what has happened to my 74 year old bff since she retired, she didn't have a plan for filling up her time and her days and she's struggling with that now.

Respected Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

Zero.

That's what he said when he looked in my house lolSmiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

@Smoky wrote:

@Pqfan wrote:

Zero.

That's what he said when he looked in my house lolSmiley Very Happy

@Pqfan, LOL and headed for the woods.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

@SuziepeachI am Felix and my room mate is Oscar.Smiley Very Happy

Oscar is winning at the moment.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Not counting solicitors, how many people come to visit with you at your home in say, a week's time? 

We have a lot of close neighbors, and can visit outside in good weather. We really don't have many visitors. Our neighbors, are a mix. Both retired and working and raising families.

Now that family size is getting smaller, that's some of it too. I'm seeing how so many of the elderly are alone a lot. Whole new chapter. Such is life.

@qualitygal

Saw our UPS driver yesterday and USPS mailman Monday. Where we live was for reasons. Lots of land/so many animal visitors, and pretty much, zero solicitors. Neighbors? Only 2 even close and haven't seen them in weeks, and those are never home visits.

Who needs humans in our home when we have 8 furry loved ones with us at all times?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)