Honored Contributor

Re: Geneology, is anyone doing this now?

Not I, @qualitygal ,  but my oldest sister had a consuming interest, and gosh, at least 25 or 30 years ago she began her researches.  There was a lot of family lore we already knew-- it was my mother's family that was of great interest, but our Mum was not interested in it.  Nevertheless, a lot of it seeped down to us, unofficially.  And my sister, who is meticulous and thorough in everything she undertakes (unlike me!), methodically set out to find the facts behind the stories.

It was interesting that so much of what we had vaguely heard, turned out to be true, and a lot more that we never knew, that was super surprising to find out!

Honored Contributor

I've done it in the past, but not recently.

Love the newpapers.com though.

So many articles on my great grandfather who was obviously loved by an entire town.  When he died (Officer Down) the newspaper articles were so detailed about his demise.  And the funeral procession which many mayors attended and an almost mile long parade of mourners from his home to the cemetary.  A statue honoring him and other fallen police officers in the town he lived.

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I am utterly fascinated by genetics, family trees, etc.  My Dad did a lot of research many years ago and compiled an impressive amount of data, all without a computer.  I would be interested in learning more but do not want to be part of a Database.....   

@Q4u there's no reason for you to be part of a database unless you submit your research or DNA to one.  I don't do the DNA side and all of my research is physicaly with me, not on any online resource.