Honored Contributor

I attended one two weeks ago and I had the same question.  The invitation said to just bring myself but I stopped on the way there to pick up a veggie tray and some dips, as well as a selection of fruit. 

Just bring food.  You can never go wrong with food.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

We knew of a friend's co-worker who was expecting a girl. She painted the room pink, had a gender reveal party and baby girl baby showers, etc.  After having two or three sons, guess what!  It was another boy instead.

Even though no gifts are expected, I usually give something such as booties, blankets, etc., etc.

Wishing all babies well and healthy.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I've never been to one of these parties so I don't know the proper etiquette for it. If I knew someone who was also invited I would ask if they're bringing a gift.

Honored Contributor

Nothing.  Gender Reveals are not gift giving occasions; you just go and enjoy yourself and have fun.   

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Does anybody wait and be surprised any more?

No.  Even if there is no Gender Reveal party, the couple still tells everyone as soon as they know.  I do miss the surprise of it all.  

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Have not been invited to one of these yet...but I would take a gift basket of essentials like Dreft spray, cloth diapers, a roll of Viva paper towels, wipes, white or neutral onesies or gowns, then a gender-specific gift to the baby shower.

Why?  It might be a bit uncomfortable since you'll be the only one bringing a gift.  Gender Reveal parties do not replace baby showers, you'll still get the invitation for that.  

Respected Contributor

A bottle of wine or a plate of cookies. That’s what I would bring... Well, honestly, i probably wouldn’t go unless it was my grandchild! 

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Gender reveal parties have been around here for awhile. I have also seen them on tv shows for quite awhile. I guess it probably depends if you have family or friends that are having babies.

Yes, they've been around for years.  I've been to a few, but have also seen them on TV and elsewhere.  Definitely nothing new.

They're not gift-giving occasions, so I don't understand why some people have an issue with it.  Most of the time, it's just close family and friends who attend.  Just a fun thing that some couples choose to do. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Does anybody wait and be surprised any more?

No.  Even if there is no Gender Reveal party, the couple still tells everyone as soon as they know.  I do miss the surprise of it all.  

A few still want to be surprised. Last year, DD's college roommate and close friend from high school both did not want to know. I went to their showers. The one girl had names for both sexes picked out and we played a game where we "guessed" whether it would be Jack or Jill. Her mom counted to see how many guesses each got. I guessed Jack, and I was right. Had the other girl done this, I would have been wrong! Smiley Wink

Regular Contributor

No gifts are required, just go and have fun.  My friend's daughter had one for the immediate  family.  The Dr's office put the gender in a sealed envelope.  They held the party at Top Golf where they gave the results to the manager upon arrival.  The father to be hit the first ball and when it hit the hole, it lit up blue for a boy.  I saw the video and everyone was jumping up and down, hugging, and laughing.  It looked like a lot of fun.