Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

Yeesh, people are still having these in spite of several tragedies occuring? Deaths, fires, including that massive fire in California in which a fireman died. The firing off of a minature canon that killed the father to be and other incidences of awfulness. 

@shaggygirl 

I've read about several tragedies and think they are a waste of time and money. 

Plus .. how long does it take to say "it's a boy" or "it's a girl"?    It takes less than 30 seconds to announce it, and all the rest of the chat will still be the same as at the baby shower.  

(Congrats to @Silverfox1)

Honored Contributor

Please do not release balloons. They can cause power outages and fires. Far worse, is the harm they cause to birds and other wildlife. 

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I miss the days of finding  out the sex of the kid when they were born.

My kids were a surprise (they didn't really reveal it back then....).

And I said I didn't want to know what my first grandchild would be, so please keep it a secret from me.  Told them they could shout it from the mountains, but I wanted it to be a surprise. They were on board with it and kept it a secret from all except one favorite cousin of my DIL.  The other grandmother was ticked.  They could've told her!

My thought process never changed, I loved not knowing what any of my grandchildren were!  We were at the hospital for each and every birth, no matter how many hundreds of miles away they were.  And one I was in the delivery room.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Silverfox1 , I forgot to say Congratulations!!  So very exciting.  I have never been to one so no idea on the gift giving.

Honored Contributor

Geez all this negative about something joyful for @Silverfox1 ...

Not everyone is irresponsible and I've been to a few it's been nothing but a fun family celebration...

Congrats @Silverfox1 and best wishes to the proud parents🎈🎈🧸🧸🍼🍼

Esteemed Contributor

@Silverfox1, Congratulations to you and your family!  wishing for a happy, healthy baby to love and adore.  I can picture you “over the moon” for this baby.  And rightly so!

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl   And these horrid happenings are exactly the reason why parties of the like are ridiculously insane to do.

Contributor

Yes, I would bring a small gift. Some diapers and a stuffed lovey or if you are inclined, buy a cute outfit in blue and pink and return or donate the one you won't need.

My son and his wife had a gender reveal for our first grandchild. It was simply opening a box with pink balloons inside. It was lovely.

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@shaggygirl   And these horrid happenings are exactly the reason why parties of the like are ridiculously insane to do.

@PINKdogWOOD 

Well I did apologize for bringing those horrid things up to the poster. I should have minded my own business. But I will say I wonder if couples who give gender reveal parties really believe that all their friends and neighbors and relatives really give that big of a hoot what the gender will be months before the baby is born. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Gender Reveal Party

[ Edited ]

@shaggygirl   No need to apologize, I'm with you as there have been just too many really stupid things that happened at such parties that I am sorry to say, actually harmed, hurt and killed others. There is just NO NEED to do such things at parties.

Something else that was dreadfully disasterous at a MI 4th of July party that killed one of our ice  hockey goalies from the Columbus OH Blue Jackets team. Yes you guessed it, a firework mortar that totally went awry, hit him in the chest and killed him. He was only 24 years old and just starting out with his deam job. But now he's dead. Our town and this team will never be the same.

Totally ridiculously just plain stupid.