Trusted Contributor

Re: Gender Neutral Bathrooms

I read post 43 Gato. I just think sometimes a thread takes a on a life of its own.
Honored Contributor

Bruce Jenner would love it.

Respected Contributor

On 2/5/2015 Lucibee said: I read post 43 Gato. I just think sometimes a thread takes a on a life of its own.

ITA.

The news reports I read dated Feb 3rd and 4th say ""single-stall bathroom"".

I don't know where the OP got multiple stall.

And they all mention this step is to help guarantee the safety of the transgender community which the OP completely omitted.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

On 2/5/2015 Smaug said:
On 2/5/2015 Lucibee said: I read post 43 Gato. I just think sometimes a thread takes a on a life of its own.

ITA.

The news reports I read dated Feb 3rd and 4th say ""single-stall bathroom"".

And they all mention this step is to help guarantee the safety of the transgender community which the OP completely omitted.

Aren't Single stall restrooms already gender-neutral by definition? When there's only one bathroom everyone uses it.
Respected Contributor

On 2/4/2015 Kachina624 said: The mayor of Santa Fe wants to make every public restroom in the city gender neutral. If a bathroom has multiple stalls, you could have a man using the one next to you. Now Santa Fe has a very laid-back atmosphere with more than their share of perverts and weirdos. It's hippie haven. How do you feel about this? I just sent him an email giving him my opinion.

I know here we have "family restroom"..........generally there is only one, and that's about as neutral as it gets........both genders use them even if they aren't hauling a kid in there with them....................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

On 2/5/2015 bikerbabe said:
On 2/5/2015 Smaug said:

ITA.

The news reports I read dated Feb 3rd and 4th say "single-stall bathroom".

Aren't Single stall restrooms already gender-neutral by definition? When there's only one bathroom everyone uses it.

You would think right?

There's a specific message behind this. You can read more at KRQE:

"...KRQE News 13 spoke with Gonzales (the Santa Fe mayor) Wednesday and asked him why he thinks it’s necessary.

“It’s a small way to go that sends a very loud message to young kids and others in the transgender community,” Gonzales said…"

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Super Contributor

On 2/5/2015 SuzzieQ said:
On 2/5/2015 Linders Back said:

Any one who has traveled has been faced with this for years. Airplanes, buses, etc. don't have separate restrooms and I can't think of a time in the past when they did.

I think it is an issue whose time has come. With more single parent families, it is a basic necessity as Moms need to accompany small boys and Dads small girls when use a restroom. I think it is a much scarier proposition when you see a parent sending their child alone into the appropriate single gender restroom and saying "I'll be waiting right outside".

Again at Disney last week, my husband said a man brought his two daughters into the men's bathroom. I asked him did he take them into a stall, he said no they could plainly see the men using the urinals.. there is just something wrong, in my opinion, with that picture....

This is exactly what gender neutral restrooms would eliminate. Single stall, lockable bathrooms where you are alone or are able to bring your opposite gender child safely. Its about time.

Honored Contributor

On 2/5/2015 SuzzieQ said:

Any one who has traveled has been faced with this for years. Airplanes, buses, etc. don't have separate restrooms and I can't think of a time in the past when they did.

I think it is an issue whose time has come. With more single parent families, it is a basic necessity as Moms need to accompany small boys and Dads small girls when use a restroom. I think it is a much scarier proposition when you see a parent sending their child alone into the appropriate single gender restroom and saying "I'll be waiting right outside".

Again at Disney last week, my husband said a man brought his two daughters into the men's bathroom. I asked him did he take them into a stall, he said no they could plainly see the men using the urinals.. there is just something wrong, in my opinion, with that picture....

This is exactly what gender neutral restrooms would eliminate. Single stall, lockable bathrooms where you are alone or are able to bring your opposite gender child safely. Its about time.

Disney does have them. My husband couldn't get over the fact those little girls were right there amongst the urinals.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Valued Contributor

just as long as everyone washes their hands, i'm okay with it.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Honored Contributor

Don't think it's a good idea.