Honored Contributor

Geminid Meteor Shower Tonight

The Geminids will peak tonight, December 13, into early tomorrow morning, December 14.

Meteors can peak as high as 120/hour and are the brightest individual meteors.

The meteors will tend to peak at 2am your local time but can be seen as early as 9-10pm tonight.

The meteors stem from the Gemini constellation and to find it in your area:

To find Gemini in the Northern Hemisphere, look in the southwestern sky for the constellation Orion, which is easy to spot by the three stars in the hunter's "belt." Then look just up and to the left of Orion to see Gemini, high in the southwestern sky. In the Southern Hemisphere, Gemini appears to the lower right of Orion and both will hang in the northwestern sky.

Also the brightest and longest tails will be seen slightly away from Gemini. (Blue highlighted from Space dot com

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Geminid Meteor Shower Tonight

I saw that it was going to be tonight. Well its snowing here in PA so I wont see anything. Almost every time theres an event in the sky its either cloudy, raining, or snowing. lol I took a great pic last week of the super moon and one earlier in the year. Otherwise Ive been unable to see any other sky events. lol

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

I saw that it was going to be tonight. Well its snowing here in PA so I wont see anything. Almost every time theres an event in the sky its either cloudy, raining, or snowing. lol I took a great pic last week of the super moon and one earlier in the year. Otherwise Ive been unable to see any other sky events. lol

@Shorty2U Yep, it's snowing here too.  No meteor shower for me either. 😞

Esteemed Contributor

I would have liked to see it....but snow for me here too....

Honored Contributor

Thanks Cakers.  Hubs is an avid astonomy buff and wiil be glad to know this.

Honored Contributor

I write these events down on a calendar and still miss many of them.  Last night it was clear and cold in Albuquerque and I did see the meteor shower.  Lots of activity between midnight and 3 AM.

The Geminids are pretty dependable so try again in December 2018!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

would have loved to see the showers last night.

We got showers it was all snow showers, got another inch of snow last night, so missed the whole display

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been reading meteorwatch.org and their recommendation is to not look in just one direction, but just look up.  The meteors can appear anywhere, randomly.

https://www.meteorwatch.org/geminid-meteor-shower-2018/

Geminid Meteor Shower 2014

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Some first photos of the meteors from the UK:

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

The sky is never dark enough here to see any of this sort of thing.  Too many lights.