Honored Contributor

I received an email from my car insurance company that my monthly payment was going up $40 per month and they would be taking that payment, plus a surcharge out of my account this week on the 18th of May.  I had no warning or notification of this. I asked why because we have a perfect record on a 2012 paid off Kia Forte Sx hatchback.  They said it was a reassessment of our zip code.

We had a long discussion on how to get it back down, to no avail, the details of which are boring.  Suffice it to say,  the payment just got higher with less coverage.

So at 11 pm at night, I called Geico.  I was able to get a policy with everything I need for $100 less per month than the new payment from my present insurance company.  And the reps I spoke to were extremely cordial and helpful.

I called the other insurance company early this morning and cancelled my old policy. Unfortunately, I still have to pay them for the current month, but it will be worth it.

Make sure you are not getting ripped off with surcharges and reassessment of your zip code on your auto insurance policy.  Geico has none of those fees.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

I love Geico's staff!

Always so cordial and able to solve my problem.

Years ago I had them move me to a minimum travel policy, since I was averaging less than 100 miles per month when I stopped working outside the house, and it's always parked on my private property overnight.

But they can only go so low.

A lot of those rate increases are not about your driving record, but about the people around you, how they drive, how they crash. 

The people in my city/county are horrible, frightening drivers, who make every block you drive into a contest. And the rates reflect that.

Frequent Contributor

I've been with GEICO for over 29 years.  Wouldn't have any other company!!

Respected Contributor

Seems like whenever we change car/house insurance we initially get a lower rate and then after a few years it keeps creeping up and we have to start looking again. 

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

I love Geico's staff!

Always so cordial and able to solve my problem.

Years ago I had them move me to a minimum travel policy, since I was averaging less than 100 miles per month when I stopped working outside the house, and it's always parked on my private property overnight.

But they can only go so low.

A lot of those rate increases are not about your driving record, but about the people around you, how they drive, how they crash. 

The people in my city/county are horrible, frightening drivers, who make every block you drive into a contest. And the rates reflect that.

@x Hedge 

Exactly, my daughter drives the car mostly locally, and neither of us commute.  The agent said that was a big plus.  Also we rent, so we didn’t need high liability.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

When it comes to auto & homeowners insurance it’s best to shop around.It’s worth the effort.

About 10 years ago when my son got his drivers license we put him on our policy.We hadn’t bought him a car.We just notified the insurance company as required that he was licensed to drive & would have access to our 2 vehicles.They raised our rates on our package homeowners & auto policy to the tune of $3000!!

I started calling around & was able to get a new package policy with Travelers ,with my son listed as a driver for the same amount we were paying before.We got more coverage too. We’re still with them. Their customer service is excellent too.

Esteemed Contributor

Insurance rates to up and frequently it has nothing to do with the driver but rather the driving danger of where you live.  When I lived in a rural city in CA my rates were extremely high, because our only way into or out of town was on Highway 395.  As soon as we moved to AZ our rates dropped a lot.

Honored Contributor

When I was looking to switch insurance carriers I was leery of Geico because they were what seemed to me to be waaaay too much lower than all the others.

Respected Contributor

Big fan of Geico here. They have always treated DH and I so well, and their rates have been entirely fair.  Wouldn't consider changing insurance companies - DH was 97 when he passed and still had a valid drivers' license. He was still an excellent driver.  I'm almost 85 and they have been totally fair with me as well. 

Loving that Lizard!

Honored Contributor

I’ve had AAA insurance for 30+ years and get a loyalty discount.  A few years back, I got a quote from Geico to see if I could get a lower rate.  Geico would have been more expensive.  

I’m also planning to stay with AAA for their service.  I’ve had two claims over the years.  In each case, the other driver was at fault and uninsured.  AAA had to cover me, and they eventually reimbursed me for everything, including my deductibles.