Honored Contributor

Re: Gator or Godzilla in Naples, FL ?

That's a very old gator. They grow continually with age. 

Valued Contributor

I live in south Florida, and am not terribly frightened of alligators. I don't think they are intentionally hunting humans...just a conflict of nature and find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. I actually am frequently startled by all the scurrying small lizards, anoles, and iguanas. I'm afraid I'm going to step on or trip over one. I recently had to fight a teeny tiny lizard trying to get in my front door. They are extremely fast. I swear, every time I go to the local Walgreens, there is a least one iguana running through the parking lot. Here is a large green anole sitting on our mail boxes.

20190810_104612.jpg

Here's an iguana in the tree outside my balcony.

SAM_0550 (1).JPG

Honored Contributor

Is that for real Yikes!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Very prehistoric looking............Hoping they won't harm it.  Maybe move it somewhere else?

Haven't read the other posts yet.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote

"Dont fear living in Florida..

I live in Florida. All my life. I've only seen 1 gator outside of their habitat spontaneously. It was in my then-apartment's  parking lot. We had an waterway that led to a pond-like area behind our building. He was lost, it was mating season. It was 8ft about. Not a huge looking as this one. We called management so they could send maintenence to watch it so others werent surprised by it accidently.  and the Animal services and to say the least didn't get to our car. 

I was just grateful it wasn't night time"

Your comment about night time made me laugh. Years ago at my apt complex in Charlotte, I was out walking my dog after dark.  I came across a woman looking under her car with a flashlight as she was terrified of snakes and wouldn't get in her car until she was sure there were none around it. 

Honored Contributor

Walking around like he owns the place...and he does.  

Respected Contributor

As scary as he may be, he's still a magnificent creature that's been around for a long time. I hope he isn't killed and is able to live out his natural lifespan.

Relocating would be tough and require skilled handlers. Sadly, we know what the easier route would likely be. 

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

I've never seen a monitor lizard, never heard Iof .one being seen. They , like pythons are not native to Florida.

MILLIONS of people live here folks

@LizzieInSRQ 

And I wish I were one!

Big gators, big bugs, big snakes.... I don't care.  I am freezing up here! 

Honored Contributor

@Xivambala wrote:

I live in south Florida, and am not terribly frightened of alligators. I don't think they are intentionally hunting humans...just a conflict of nature and find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. I actually am frequently startled by all the scurrying small lizards, anoles, and iguanas. I'm afraid I'm going to step on or trip over one. I recently had to fight a teeny tiny lizard trying to get in my front door. They are extremely fast. I swear, every time I go to the local Walgreens, there is a least one iguana running through the parking lot. Here is a large green anole sitting on our mail boxes.

20190810_104612.jpg

SAM_0550 (1).JPG

Awww, they're so cute!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Xivambala wrote:

20190810_104612.jpg

SAM_0550 (1).JPG

Awww, they're so cute!  Smiley Happy

I think so too!